News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Product Review: Treeslayer's Teflon Mats

Started by PhiloB, February 07, 2015, 04:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Layton and I live in the same town and last time I met up with him he gave me a Teflon mat to try out.  If you haven't had any dealings with Layton, he is truly a stand up guy and pleasure to talk with. 
So I go home with this mat thinking - 'that was pretty cool for him to give me this mat'.  I have to admit though, I wasn't totally stoked to have received a Teflon mat.  It was a mat:) how much would it change my pedal building?
Well I got home and put it on my work bench (collapsible card table).  Next time I sat down to work I was really surprised how much I liked it.  First thing I noticed was my wire clippings didn't roll all around the table.  When I was done working I just picked up the mat (maybe 10"x20") and tossed the debris in the trash.  Another bonus was that the board stayed put and didn't shift around when working.  BUT, it isn't tacky or difficult to work with in any way.
So after a few builds I decided I really like it.  My wife was digging it because she hadn't stepped on any wire pieces.  I then had an opportunity to take a circuit up to Ardent Studios in Memphis to tweak and record audio of a circuit.  So, I had found another use. I didn't know what kind of surface I'd have to place the bare circuit on so I took my new Teflon mat - it acts as an insulator as well.  I felt a little more professional having something to set the testing rig and circuit on. Unfortunately, I was so stoked about the sound of the pedal through their gear and the resulting recording that I left the mat there:(
Layton, you now have one of your mats at Ardent Recording Studio.  I had the guy I was working with (paying for the studio time) swing by and try and pick it up but it was MIA.
Bottom Line: if it were lost or stolen (or left at the studio), I'd buy another one.  I consider it a luxury item for pedal building.  One more thing, working on a white surface makes it really difficult to misplace items which makes for a much less frustrating experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreeSlayer

LOL! I hope whoever absconded with said mat, I hope they get years of enjoyment out of it, or years of wondering what the heck it is!
no worries, Bubba! i'll get you another one next time we meet up. besides, I need to get the stuff you ordered for me. thanks for the positive review!

Layton
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

davent

I had to google this as i had no idea, are these then cookie sheet liners that you're using?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

TreeSlayer

Quote from: davent on February 07, 2015, 11:14:39 PM
I had to google this as i had no idea, are these then cookie sheet liners that you're using?
no sir. this is three ply Teflon coated lightweight conveyor belting. it's used in the food industry.

you can scroll through this thread to learn about it.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17410.0

thanks a million for the interest!

Layton

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

davent

Thanks for the link Layton, have some catching up to do.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

PhiloB

I'm off this coming Friday and could swing by your business if that's convenient Layton.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: PhiloB on February 08, 2015, 03:08:53 AM
I'm off this coming Friday and could swing by your business if that's convenient Layton.

sounds good, Bud!