News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Companion Psychadelic Machine

Started by Guitarmageddon, February 19, 2015, 10:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmageddon

A RARE univibe/Superfuzz combo, also does a nice tremolo. Thought some of you might be interested in seeing it. It's here for repair, I've got it going now though and think I might do a little cloning. :D

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

brejna

Love those! It looks pretty similar to Resly Tone.. What is wrong with it?

Guitarmageddon

It's fixed now, but the problems were some dried out caps and a bungled transistor replacement. :P
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

pryde

Quote from: Guitarmageddon on February 19, 2015, 10:48:45 AM
It's fixed now, but the problems were some dried out caps and a bungled transistor replacement. :P

Good job on the repair! How did you troubleshoot through all that? Is a schematic available for this unit? Very cool machine.

Luke51411

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: pryde on February 19, 2015, 02:17:35 PM
Quote from: Guitarmageddon on February 19, 2015, 10:48:45 AM

Good job on the repair! How did you troubleshoot through all that? Is a schematic available for this unit? Very cool machine.
No. no schem that I'm aware off. It's actually in the process of REing at freestompboxes. I still haven't figured out some of the switching, but the univibe section is familiar enough. I used an audio probe (#1 best trouble-shooting device ever!) to find my way around through it.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

lincolnic

That's very, very cool. Never heard of this thing before! What else did Companion make?

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: lincolnic on February 20, 2015, 04:20:19 AM
What else did Companion make?
Things like this:

...and also the FY-2:

I'm not sure of the difference between Compainion, Shin-ei and Shin-ei Companion, if indeed there is one.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

lincolnic

Ah, my brain didn't make the connection between Companion on its own and Shin-ei. They sure knew how to design an attractive enclosure...