Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what is in your box of shame?

Started by add4, February 25, 2015, 12:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Betty Wont

Quote from: Luke51411 on February 25, 2015, 07:00:18 AM
Quote from: Torgoslayer on February 25, 2015, 06:43:03 AM
The arcadiator is my first unsolvable fail. Replaced every cap, chip, and diode. measured my resistors before installation and triple checked their bands after. I even added a boost. I can't get more than 1 second of effect before if farts out, even with a constant input. The shame is the expense on this one. The board plus 8x board mount switches and pots plus 2x component sets.
It shouldn't be too hard to salvage the pots at least. Do you have a solder sucker? If not, it's a good investment.
yeah, i'm at the salvage phase now. I'm trying again with a fresh board. I'll keep what I can after I verify that it isn't the problem.

Betty Wont

I'm seeing the meatsphere show up on these kinds of lists alot. I'm glad I passed that one by for madbeans naughty fish.

flanagan0718

-Box Of Fail-
Effector 13 - Soda Meiser (vero)
Madbeans - Bacon Bits
MXR - Headphone Amp (vero)
Ring Mod - My own project that I have pretty much given up on
Hamlet (non tap tempo black pcb)
GGG - big muff

-Need to box-
MusicPCB - Echo base
MBP - Uproar
MBP - UpperDecker
9v power brick for pedal board (vero)

Droogie

Box of Fail:
EQ on vero from Sabro layout (3x!)
Blue Warbler
Flintlock (haven't given up, just set aside for abit)
Dr. Phil (flummoxed!)
Probably others I've forgotten..

It's always either bad soldering, wrong value, or bad part (by far, the hardest to solve).
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

blearyeyes

Just as a prefix, I built my first guitar amp out of a Heath Kit 12 watt tube amp. Never got rid of the 60htz hum. But hell I was 7 years old.  Had a Stella 12 string with a pickup in the sound hole.

Box of Shame:

I have yet to have one project beat me all the way down. I am hesitant to say that out loud as I might have just unleashed the wrath of the Pedal Gods.
MB Collosalus 2012 almost won. Had a board short between the 15v trace and the 9v input pad. Had to use a blade to cut a groove and then things got better. But not before I drove Scruffie crazy and I fear he may never talk to me after all the crazy questions I asked..
Now I'm working on a D'Lay with a Taptation daughter board and I'm getting a bad feeling about it. Will this be the one that breaks my spirit? I just changed the Taptation chip and I have found they vary greatly.  Oh how to be politically correct in the DIY community...never my forte...but I'll try.

Un-boxed tested working:

2X Pumped up Fuzz Faces W/octave boards from GuitarPCB
Four Knob Comp from Pickdropper
3X Optical Compressors from Pleasur 
Double Ganger from Lace Sensor
Pork Barrel from Mad Bean
Zenith from GuitarPCB
Sho'Nuff from GuitarPCB
Max Powers / Sonic Titan from 3secondRule
Pennyroyal from Stomptown

I really have to get to boxing these up.... I feel so much shame that I have to wear a fig leaf while running my drill press.

march500

GuitarPCB colorsound overdrive... Blessing in disguise though. The failure lead to the discovery of veroboards for me ;D

Luke51411

Quote from: march500 on February 25, 2015, 04:12:08 PM
GuitarPCB colorsound overdrive... Blessing in disguise though. The failure lead to the discovery of veroboards for me ;D
Vero is addicting, and much more available to build things on a whim than pcbs, which can be good and bad.

Govmnt_Lacky

Not necessarily box of "fail" as much as box of "waiting to be reconfigured"

I have 2 of the Gilmour flanger etched PCBs from Gordo (GGBB) over at DIYStomp. The layouts call for LT1054 charge pumps but the design as it is has massive heterodyning issues with the pump. It works great with a transformer though.

Need to see if the layout can be modified to get rid of the clock interference. Works great with the RD5106 BBDs I have though.  ;)

I'm not savvy enough to find the problem area (not for lack of trying) so if anyone wants to give it a whirl... let me know!

lars

Pretty much just one, but it has been my nemisis. The zombie chorus. Ive tried two different pcb etches, and now have an unfinished vero of it. What ive learned...bbds like bias pots.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

blearyeyes

Quote from: lars on February 25, 2015, 05:03:38 PM
Pretty much just one, but it has been my nemisis. The zombie chorus. Ive tried two different pcb etches, and now have an unfinished vero of it. What ive learned...bbds like bias pots.

Appropriate/ironic name for your nemesis. The Living Dead Chorus..

mandrewbot3k

Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

neve1272

mine is the cardinal i replaced almost every component on that board never did get it to work properly and  4 different vacrol where not cheap
still might start from scratch some day i want that to be my trem so badly
Kip