News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Spectral Gate: I want to pedalize this

Started by midwayfair, February 26, 2015, 03:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicstudio/effects/index.html#chapter=6%26section=5%26tasks=true

QuoteThe Spectral Gate is an unusual filter effect that can be used as a tool for creative sound design.

It works by dividing the incoming signal into two frequency ranges—above and below a central frequency band that you specify with the Center Freq and Bandwidth parameters. The signal ranges above and below the defined band can be individually processed with the Low Level and High Level parameters and the Super Energy and Sub Energy parameters.

I used this in post on a recording last night. It's absolute insanity. I can't even describe exactly what it does. It makes you sound like a computer imitating a donkey run through a wah pedal being operated by a deranged monkey. If that doesn't make you want this sound in your repertoire, well, I just don't know what we're going to do with you.

If you want to hear what it sounds like when not used for total craziness, I did it with a 50/50 blend with a dry signal starting at 6:01 in this song (right after the two-hand tapping part):

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jon-patton-3/the-last-of-my-kind[/soundcloud]

In all seriousness, this might be a pipe dream to fit that much stuff into a pedal, but I can't think of anything else that makes this particular noise. Plus I'd have to figure out the basics of how to even implement it -- the LFO part in particular might be particularly difficult in a small analog circuit.

jkokura

So it's sorta like a crossover which splits the incoming frequencies and then allows them to be processed independently?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on February 26, 2015, 03:44:39 PM
So it's sorta like a crossover which splits the incoming frequencies and then allows them to be processed independently?

Jacob

Yeah. It's sort of like having two really steep-high pass and low-pass envelope filters going at once. But the truly neat thing is that you can set not just where the crossover happens, but exactly how widely those frequencies are swept, in addition to the dry blend on each frequency. I'm not really sure what would be an analogous control on other filters, because it's not just "sweep the frequencies this much" but sort of sets a ceiling on the amount of swept bandwidth.

jkokura

I'm trying envision this in analog circuitry, and I'm having trouble. It seems like DSP could potentially do this best.

However, instead of a filter, what if you implemented a pair of gates that could cut a band out of all frequencies instead of filtering them. And then, once gated, you could filter/effect those gated frequency bands... I dunno. Just thinking off the top of my head.

Considering how extensive the circuitry is for good gating processing, I'd imagine a monster circuit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

LaceSensor

Ehx hog has spectral gate not sure if it's the same

midwayfair

Quote from: LaceSensor on February 27, 2015, 03:48:32 PM
Ehx hog has spectral gate not sure if it's the same

Ooh, good pull! EHX is like the rule 34 of pedals! :o

It sounds like it's slightly less comprehensive than the logic plug in, but it does something similar:

"The Spectral Gate emphasizes the loudest frequency or harmonic and reduces the volumes of all other present frequencies and harmonics."

Sounds like what would happen if the logic plugin auto-detected the center frequency? Which is definitely easier to use even if it's half the functionality ... duplicating the HOG would be way harder unfortunately. :)

DuctTapeRiot

ggarms

I love your tone (toan) during that end solo. (:

icecycle66

Now for multiple bands and notches to send to different processing routes.

midwayfair

Quote from: ggarms on February 28, 2015, 12:25:04 AM
I love your tone (toan) during that end solo. (:

Thanks, Greg. It's only the second time I've ever had to use ear plugs in a recording session. Volume is the best thing ever. (If you're curious, it's the Sakura 5W in Tweed mode with all the knobs nearly dimed, a MOSFET booster, and a fuzz face switched on about 1/3 through.)

Quote from: icecycle66 on February 28, 2015, 02:17:25 AM
Now for multiple bands and notches to send to different processing routes.

You're killing me. But now I'm anxious to hear what that sounds like. I'll put it on my list of things to do after I finish the last FAWM recording tomorrow ...