News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer II capacitor question

Started by Jebus, February 26, 2015, 10:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jebus

Hey!

I started to build two Kingslayers yesterday. Now all resistors and most of the caps are in their place, but I have little bit of shortage of some capacitors. I only have 1uF tantalums, nothing else. So, can I use those instead of film ones mentioned in BOM (C3, C11, C12, C17)? Which way should I put them in? I assume C11, C12 and C17 are there to block DC-current and C3 and the resistors R3 and R4 forms some kind of HP-filter for negative feedback?

My instinct says C11, C12 and C17 positive towards the op amps and C3 towards the input, but I dont trust myself enough..  :D

Edit. Heres the link to the documentation: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Kingslayer/Kingslayer2.pdf

midwayfair

The Kingslayer's op amps are biased at ground, which means that none of the op amp inputs rest at higher voltage than other pins. This theoretically makes it a bad idea to use Tantalum caps, though it also means that you don't really have to worry about their orientation. I would just get film caps if you don't want to deal with a potential exploded cap later, and that's coming from someone who's a fan of tantalum caps unlike a lot of other people :). Also, make sure they're rated for 25V or higher.

Jebus

Thanks! Exploding caps does not sound good.. I'm going through my random box right now. Found some 1 uF 100V Vishay caps but these are way too big to fit that board.

Also found some older box caps that are marked ".1K" on the top and "100" on the side. Are these 1uF 100V film caps or am I completely wrong?

Edit. Oh wait, these are probably 0.1 uF..

Jebus

Quote from: Jebus on February 26, 2015, 11:03:05 AM
Found some 1 uF 100V Vishay caps but these are way too big to fit that board.

Oh well, made them fit..  :o Doesn't look good, but maybe I'll replace them with smaller ones later. Really have to stock up on my caps.

Edit. In that picture you can see how low I'm on caps.. Almost all are different types/manufacturers/voltage ratings. :D