what am i doing wrong? (drill template for PCB mounted pots content)

Started by add4, February 26, 2015, 11:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

So i don't have the opportunity to drill at home, or to paint boxes at home.

I want to overcome that limitation by ordering prepainted and predrilled boxes from pedalpartplus

I need to give them a template for each box, with precise measurements for each hole.
My idea was :
for each specific template
- take the pedalpartsplus template used for the artwork (service page)
- take a screenshot of the PCB
- use the pots from the pedal vector pack
- scale the screenshot of the pcbs so the pads of the PCB mounted pots align perfectly with the legs of the pots from the vector pack
- use the pcbs as template to position the pots
- measure that and send it to pedal parts plus

the problem is that , for the 8ball PCB, i find that doing that, the pots don't seem to align. (see pics) the upper and lower pot do not align. from build reports of other people .. it seems they should be aligned.

what is wrong in this approach according to you?
do you guys have another way to make drill templates from pcbs mounted pots?

thanks in avance

mgwhit

The pots from the pedal vector pack are solder lug pots.  The legs of PCB-mount pots stick out about 1/8" farther.  I always take the drill template and try to superimpose it on (or under) my artwork, centering it if I'm using a larger enclosure (like in this case a 125B over the template's 1590B).

jkokura

That's because you're using lug pots and not PCB mounted pots. The PCB mounting means that the connection point on the PCB and the centre of the pot is a little farther out than the lug mounted pots.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

add4

add4

Ok, so i tried to do the following :

- take pedalpartsplus template
- importe the photoshop template of madbean http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Kingslayer/Kingslayer2_DRILL.zip
- import that template into illustrator, convert units to inches
- measure the box dimension in illustrator to see if it matches the dimensions in the pedalpartplus template
and
it doesn't add up the madbean tempate height is measure as 4.3 inches while the pedalpartsplus template says 4.7 inches. box in madbean template is the 1590B while for pedalpartsplus it's the 1290 (supposed to be the same, aren't they?)

am i missing something important again ?

THanks

mgwhit

I don't have Illustrator, but when I import the PPP 1290 template into Inkscape it gives me the exact dimensions they have printed (i.e. 2.39" x 4.42").  The Madbean 1590B template (8-ball) came out a little smaller at 2.25" x 4.33".  Sorry -- all I can confirm is that the PPP template is accurate.  You sure you didn't accidentally import the 2.6" x 4.77" PPP 125B template?

add4

yes i absolutely did ....

thanks for helping me seeing the obvious :)
i created a custom template called 1290 using the 125B.

thanks

mgwhit

rullywowr

Quote from: add4 on February 26, 2015, 08:55:36 PM
yes i absolutely did ....

thanks for helping me seeing the obvious :)
i created a custom template called 1290 using the 125B.

thanks

I'm sure you probably have this sorted by now but I figured it would be worth mentioning that the center shaft of a right angle PCB Alpha pot is 16mm (.629") away from from the center of the middle lug. 

I've attached the hard-to-find datasheet on these pots we all so commonly use. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

add4

a bit late to thank you for that information, but ... thanks :)