Canadians: $399 50s Tribute SG @ Future Shop

Started by culturejam, March 04, 2015, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 05, 2015, 11:47:47 PM
Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

Are these made in China?!

I bought one of these for my son who has been playing for about 5 years now. It was virtually unplayable as delivered. The action was so high and the neck had a major bow in it. His music teacher tried to adjust the truss rod but he was unable to get the action playable. The finish was very rough in places almost like the wood was not sanded properly. To top it off, the knobs on the volume and tone controls are crooked. Huge disappointment over all. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SIGHT UNSEEN.

Grain of salt time - Future Shop is the Canadian version of Best Buy (even though they both exist in Canada, and are owned by the same company).  They're not a music store, they don't have techs, and the only bricks and mortar store I've ever seen that had guitars in it (beyond the $199 Affinity starter pack) didn't have anyone in the store that played.  So you're getting a guitar from Gibson, shipped to Future Shop, where the box is never opened, just shipped to you, so you roll the dice on any Gibson QA issues.  I fully expect to have to spend at least an hour or two of bench time on mine when it arrives.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

blearyeyes

Wish I had the money. That really is a steal. . 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumbletone

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 06, 2015, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: blearyeyes on March 05, 2015, 11:47:47 PM
Review of the Les Paul:

------------------

Are these made in China?!

I bought one of these for my son who has been playing for about 5 years now. It was virtually unplayable as delivered. The action was so high and the neck had a major bow in it. His music teacher tried to adjust the truss rod but he was unable to get the action playable. The finish was very rough in places almost like the wood was not sanded properly. To top it off, the knobs on the volume and tone controls are crooked. Huge disappointment over all. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE SIGHT UNSEEN.

Grain of salt time - Future Shop is the Canadian version of Best Buy (even though they both exist in Canada, and are owned by the same company).  They're not a music store, they don't have techs, and the only bricks and mortar store I've ever seen that had guitars in it (beyond the $199 Affinity starter pack) didn't have anyone in the store that played.  So you're getting a guitar from Gibson, shipped to Future Shop, where the box is never opened, just shipped to you, so you roll the dice on any Gibson QA issues.  I fully expect to have to spend at least an hour or two of bench time on mine when it arrives.
Ha - just got an email from future shop that they are canceling my order due to an error that said they had stock, but they actually don't...

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: rumbletone on March 07, 2015, 12:15:07 AM
Ha - just got an email from future shop that they are canceling my order due to an error that said they had stock, but they actually don't...

Send a reply or call them and have them send you a certificate stating that they will honor the advertised price once they receive more stock.  ;)

blearyeyes

Looks like a discontinued item at Zzounds at least..

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 07, 2015, 12:17:27 AM

Send a reply or call them and have them send you a certificate stating that they will honor the advertised price once they receive more stock.  ;)

I'd also do that!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

rumbletone

Quote from: GrindCustoms on March 07, 2015, 01:23:25 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 07, 2015, 12:17:27 AM

I'd also do that!
There won't be more stock unless there are returns (the model has been long since discontinued, which I'm sure is why it's on sale).

jkokura

My tracking email said it would be here on Monday...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Wish a red one was coming. They had the brown burst left when I ordered. I'm not super hopeful I'll love it at first, but after some tuning and breaking in I hope it turns awesome.

Looking for non-humming P90s as I type...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on March 07, 2015, 05:01:28 AM
Wish a red one was coming. They had the brown burst left when I ordered. I'm not super hopeful I'll love it at first, but after some tuning and breaking in I hope it turns awesome.

Jacob

I know a couple of folks that tried the Fralins and ultimately took them out, so I'd probably not start there.  But they were looking for something that sounded like a real P90.  If you are looking for spent hung different, maybe they would work.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rumbletone

So, after an almost surreal display of incompetence by Future Shop's online division, I started calling stores to find one. Eventually, one store (west van) said that they definitely didn't have the cherry in stock, but they had 2 in black and they'd hold one for me. Drove to the store last night (its over an hour round trip), got there half hour before closing. I walk into the store and see the musical instruments department at the back and head in that direction. When 30 feet away, I see the guitars on display, and what's literally the first guitar near the entrance?? The cherry SG!!! The only employee there immediately steps over to help me, I explain that the black is on hold for me even though I originally ordered and was still trying to find a cherry one, and he says "it's been there the whole time.... can't understand how my colleague you talked to earlier today didn't know it was there....". So, after all that I bought the cherry one.

I had much time to kill while they figured out some issue with their sales software, so I played the cherry and the black ones on display, and my initial impressions are that although the guitar was set up with quite high action, and with lighter strings than I normally use, they were quite impressive - they don't have the feeling of a Gibson with binding, but if you like the satin finish (which I do) they are really nice guitars, even at several times the price, and at $399 they blow away the epiphone SGs. Neck - as advertised - is a pretty chunky 50s style neck. The 24 frets is weird, especially on a '50s tribute', but didn't bother me from a playing perspective. Neck is straight, with no obvious issues, and the intonation was strangely good for an off the shelf Gibson (5 of the 6 strings were good up to the 24th fret - and I'm sure the 6th just needs a tweak of the saddle). The logo looks cheap, but whatever (doesn't affect playablility/tone). I didn't bother plugging it in, because it's unlikely I'll keep the stock pickups (I need noiseless...).

lars

I've seen a Future Shop in my area, but I always planned to go in the next day...
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

rumbletone

Quote from: pickdropper on March 07, 2015, 02:33:13 PM

Quote from: jkokura on March 07, 2015, 05:01:28 AM

Jacob

I know a couple of folks that tried the Fralins and ultimately took them out, so I'd probably not start there.  But they were looking for something that sounded like a real P90.  If you are looking for spent hung different, maybe they would work.

Anybody tried the Kinman P90s? I like his noiseless tele set, but haven't tried the p90s.