News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Canadians: $399 50s Tribute SG @ Future Shop

Started by culturejam, March 04, 2015, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on March 18, 2015, 01:35:47 PM
It's weird, because the pickups seem to have 4 connectors coming into the control cavity. I'll put some more looking at it when I take the strings off eventually.

Jacob

Are they thicker than normal P90s?  The P100s are quite a bit thicker than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

His new pickups will have 4 wires but are single coil P-90's... Interesting customage is afoot.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Matt Gnarly

I kept my 50's SG for about two weeks, never really warmed up to it so I traded it in for an iPad. I thought it was good for the price, but felt pretty standard for a ~$600 guitar. My Gretsch Electromatic ProJet and Fender Tele Deluxe (Mexican) both feel like better guitars to me.

jkokura

Uh... these guitars were regularly $899. Are you saying you traded a $900 guitar for a $400 iPad?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Matt Gnarly

Quote from: jkokura on March 18, 2015, 03:51:45 PM
Uh... these guitars were regularly $899. Are you saying you traded a $900 guitar for a $400 iPad?

Jacob

Despite regularly being $899, I didn't get a single email about it when I posted it on Kijiji for $500, so I returned it to Best Buy. Like I said, I thought it was a nice enough guitar, but I greatly preferred the two Les Paul Junior's that I've owned over the SG. 90% of the time I play acoustic as of late, I definitely didn't need the SG, it was an impulse buy.

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on March 18, 2015, 01:55:15 PM

Quote from: jkokura on March 18, 2015, 01:35:47 PM
It's weird, because the pickups seem to have 4 connectors coming into the control cavity. I'll put some more looking at it when I take the strings off eventually.

Jacob

Are they thicker than normal P90s?  The P100s are quite a bit thicker than normal.

I'm pretty sure all of the 2014 and later guitars use the same 4-conductor wiring harness with quick connectors, regardless of pickup type. Just makes things more efficient if you can use the same PCB and connectors for everything. The P90S pickups in my Melody Maker have 4-conductor connectors, but I'm 99% sure only two of the wires are connected at the pickup end.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GrindCustoms

Quote from: pickdropper on March 18, 2015, 01:22:46 PM
I keep seeing references to P100s, but the specs say that these come with P90s.  I would assume based on Jacob's hum post that they are P90s as the P100s are noise canceling.  Can anybody confirm what's in there?

Working on some stuff, when i'll be done i'll post complete picture set of it... still really digging that guitar, once setup.... it does sound great! the Cleans are fat, neck and bridge pickup are well balanced.

I'm quite sure it's P90s because the hum is quite present with mine even at very low gain setting on the amp or with fuzzyz and what not...

Going to change the string at the same time, so i'll pop the pickups out and i'm also changing the ceramic caps for something a bit more fancy... and adding treble bleed on both pickups volume.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

pickdropper

For anybody in the US that's looking for these, Sam Ash has them for $550-570 depending on color.  Not nearly as good as the Canadian deal, but still not to bad for a USA made Gibson.  Of course, at that price point you can also get a 2014 Melody Maker which is a nice guitar, too.

Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

Started to take it apart, some strange and nice discoveries, i just copy/pasted my comments from my facebook post, so i might be repeating myself from posts above.... sorry but i'm lazy. ;)

Wiring harness and pcb are nice, quality toggle and genuine Gibson pots, changing the jack for a Switchcraft, swapping the ceramic caps for something more fancy and adding treble bleed to both pickups Volume.

Neck and bridge pickup where inverted in the slots, will now have to try them in both position to hear where it sounds best. Maybe there's a reason for it or just a QC fail.

Some people thought it was using P100 because of the 4wire harness but no, only 2 conductor are used on each pickup.

Loving those mounting plates, makes the whole thing easier and directly allow the use of mini-buckers with the other mounting threaded holes.

More in depth pics and comments to come!

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

culturejam

That looks almost exactly like the cavity of my 2014 MM. Except the MM has film caps stock.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GrindCustoms

Yours have copper mojo trace goodness tho!  :P

Still on the bench.... almost done doing the proper maintenance on it, the fretboard needed a bit of conditionning, fret polish and other normal stuff...

jkokura

Yeah, Rej pretty much nailed it. It's a great guitar for $400. Especially considering that's $400 Canadian, which is about the equivalent of $315 US right now.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on March 19, 2015, 03:23:33 PM
Yeah, Rej pretty much nailed it. It's a great guitar for $400. Especially considering that's $400 Canadian, which is about the equivalent of $315 US right now.

Jacob

Yeah, that's a steal. 

Function f(x)

GrindCustoms

Well, once i've put the pickups in their respective spot or what it should be if the labelled heatshrinks on the leads are right....

It does'nt change a damn thing! hahahaha

Sounds the same as before.

For those who could be interested, i'll be selling the whole electronic setup of that guitar, control pcb, pickups, toggle switch, jack.... will likely be a drop in for any SG. Will put them up for sale once i received my new electronics wich should be within 2 weeks or so.

Rej

jkokura

I think I'll be leaving my electronics alone, but I really think some Gibsom Mini-buckers are in order. It'll be a weird thing - 50's tribute SG with Les Paul Deluxe look and perhaps sound...

I'll probably need to change out the Truss Rod cover on mine.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*