News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Onboard compressor?

Started by Patsocaster, March 01, 2015, 09:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patsocaster

Howdy 'beaners!
I'm a complete n00b and will no doubt make that obvious with my questions, so I'll ask for y'all's forgiveness now, in my very first post  :)....

I'm building a 12 string and I want to incorporate an onboard compressor, probably the Afterlife. It seems to be a good mix between relative ease of assembly, some flexibility in controls, and alleged low noise.

As the guitar is based on the Fender Electric XII, I'm thinking I'll install the compressor behind a Jaguar style upper control plate, meaning I'd need to use thumbwheel pots, some other sort of switch, a battery box, and of course no in/out jacks. Are there any other modifications that I'm missing?

Any ideas or advice are most appreciated. Thanks!!!!

solderfumes

I'd also suggest the Cupcake (Orange Squeezer) as a good candidate for an onboard compressor.  I've built both, and the Orange Squeezer is my favourite -- although actually I tend to use the Afterlife with my Danelectro 12-string.  The OS is really sweet sounding, and probably a slightly simpler build.  The Afterlife has a much slower attack, which gives me a little more of that "Turn Turn Turn" type sound.  I built my Afterlife with a homemade vactrol (LED + LDR + shrink tubing) though so maybe with a proper VTL5C3 it would be faster.

If space is an issue, and you're building it to strictly work with battery power, you can probably omit the power filtering caps too and maybe also the polarity protection diode, although I'd leave them on just to be safe.  I don't know how big the Afterlife circuit board is, but I know Jon Patton has some perfboard layouts that are really small.