News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Unit / Arcadiator / Alice 2.5

Started by juansolo, March 04, 2015, 02:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Fuzz Unit
I built myself a '76 Jumbo Tonebender (1776 Sucker Punch PCB), which got snagged by a dude in Norway. So I ordered myself another board, which got snagged by a dude into Imps...

This only differs in that it's got a switch to change a Cap and a Resistor, as they're the only differences between the 76 JTB and a B&M Fuzz Unit (Edwyn Collins). I stuck it on a switch because the FU setting is much more scooped than the JTB. So it's nice to have the options. But yeah, it does 'that' sound.

So, once again I've ordered a PCB from Josh to make mine... Except this time I've ordered a spare!

Arcadiator
Rully's PCB for Fredrik Lyxzen's quite mad Arcadiator.  I decided to put it into a 125B because I'm trying to take up less space in my storage, which was silly. Also it means that after realising it'd be awesome with an LFO on the PWM, I'd run out of space to add one (another switch and two knobs). Also I screwed up the decal (Thresh should be Vol). Ah well.

What's there to say about this other than it's actually capable of some really usable glitchy octave fuzz tones, as well as sounding like a broken 8bit computer.

Alice v2.5
I gave Cleggy the last Alice as I had some grand plans for a newer madder Alice with parallel Uglyfaces... Which didn't quite work out. So I ended up making myself a new Alice with a couple of changes. I've swapped out the P90 for a Maestro Phaser and I've added a Maestro Sample and Hold on a switch with the Tremolo.

It's been mostly successful. There's a small amount of clock noise from the S&H on the Trem. Unsurprising given their proximity and shared pots (dual gang). Normally I'd sort this out, but bizarrely, when you engage the Uglyface it vanishes. Not only that, it's a noise machine, so it's not like once you're up and running you could ever tell.

This is also the first build to feature shelves! As I had no way of securing the Sharkfin or the Phaser. Bit of ali, riveted to the case, bobs your uncle.

Overall, I think the one Cleggy has is probably more sensible all round (this wasn't an easy build), but you've got to try these things.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

A 125B Arcadiator? John, you are crazy man. Top mounted jacks and optical switching, simply insane. Great job on all of them.

Cody

m-Kresol

Wonderful! One day, you'll run out of these fancy drawn half nude chicks graphics if you keep on building at this pace ;)

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 04, 2015, 02:12:44 PM
A 125B Arcadiator? John, you are crazy man. Top mounted jacks and optical switching, simply insane. Great job on all of them.

Cody

I've done a layout for just that and I'll hopefully populating it this weekend if time allows for it. If it works, I'll share the oshpark project
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

nzCdog

:o
Wish I could make pedals that cool dude, well played :)

studiodunn

playpunk

Wowsers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

diablochris6

Looks great, as usual. I love the graphics. The video game map reminds me of Bionic Commando.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

jimilee

I only wish I could make my graphics half as good as yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Cortexturizer

"after realising it'd be awesome with an LFO on the PWM"

I've done this to mine, actually not an LFO but something similar with a vactrol and it sounds bitchin'. Expect a build report soon :)

Loving all of these builds Juan, the Arcadiator looks awesome in that enclosure with that orientation actually. Love it.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

pickdropper

There is a whole lot of fantastic madness in those builds.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Guitarmageddon

Fantastic, every one, but I love that Alice!  8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Hogharry

Nice graphics Juan! The shelf idea is brilliant, I'm expecting the enclosures to get deeper and deeper from now on...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

brejna