News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fresnel LED bezel question

Started by lincolnic, March 06, 2015, 04:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

To those of you who've used fresnel LED bezels, have you found it better to use them with waterclear LEDs, or are diffused LEDs bright enough to be seen through them easily? I'm aiming to use fresnels on an upcoming build but I'm not sure if one type of LED would work better than the other.

Haberdasher

they diffuse the light so you can go very bright imo
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Stomptown

Diffuse LEDs work totally fine with the fresnel lenses.  I personally love the look of a colored diffuse LED housed in a clear fresnel lens.  I would not recommend using white waterclead LEDs with the colored lenses though.  It washes out the color of the lense and does not look good at all.

jubal81

Agreed. Clear lens and get color from LED. Clear to color is a better indicator than color-to-brighter-color.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Dminner

I am working with lincolnic on this, so I thought I would butt in and elaborate a bit...we are not looking to use clean lens.  We want to use colored lens. We both typically use diffused LEDs, but weren't sure if diffused leds behind the colored lens would be too dim. Having heard the waterclear LEDs are typically much brighter, we were wondering if that was the more common led choice with colored fresnel lens.  For example a Red Fresnel lens with a red waterclear led (not a white led that would wash out the color).  It sounds like Haberdasher kind of confirmed this though, because the fresnel would essentially give the brighter waterclear a diffused layer?

pickdropper

Both will work.  I've used diffused and clear LEDs in colored Fresnel lenses and both worked fine.  The ultra clears are brighter, if that matters to you.  I usually tone down the LEDs so it isn't as big of a deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper