News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Effects loop attenuator

Started by bigdaddymrx, March 06, 2015, 05:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddymrx

Ok so I don't know if anyone else has done this, so here it goes. I have been a guitarist for 30 years, and playing out live the biggest problem I have is not cutting through the mix during my solos. We do not have a sound guy. So I have searched all over the net for a solution and the only thing I can find are suggestions like: "use a tube screamer", or "put a treble boost in the front of the amp". But doing that only adds more gain.  What I need is more VOLUME!  So I came up with this volume attenuator that runs between the send and return of the effects loop. It's super easy and cheap.(always a good thing). Fits in a 1590A so it takes up little space but makes a hugh impact. I made a quick diagram. You set the amp to your lead volume and adjust the pedal for your rhythm volume.  When you hit the pedal it opens the loop to the lead volume. The dc jack is only for the led. Hope this helps other guitar players out there. Peace Madbeaners.
Keith

GrindCustoms

Did one of those in the past but active.

With a passive setup you change the impedance of the signal going out of the preamp to poweramp... depending of amp some are very sensitive to that.

I'd need to make some search to find the layout i was using, but a simple opamp buffer that you had a gain control in the feedback loop (ala TubeScreamer without the clipping arrangement) would get you there.

Having the input and output of the attenuator buffered would also help to keep the whole thing very stable.

I'd also suggest to limit the boost availble from the attenuator, adding 10db in a loop is FREAKING loud.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Muadzin

Quote from: bigdaddymrx on March 06, 2015, 05:24:23 PMWhat I need is more VOLUME!

Or you could have used something that just boosts the right frequencies. Like an EQ pedal. Or one of those parked wah pedals. Find the right frequency boost and wham! You're back in the mix again.

The attenuator does have the advantage though of running your setup a little hotter the way you like it without making everybody's ears bleed.  8)