News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass preamp/DI box

Started by alanp, March 07, 2015, 06:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

So I'm thinking of doing a pre-amp/DI box for bass, to go bass-box-mixer.

Would a ROG Ginger plus Balanced Line Driver from TH Customs do the trick? (Thomas, the THC acronym tends to make me giggle a bit :) )

And what other boards would be a good idea in front of them? Maybe a fuzz?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

thesameage

BYOC is down, but look in completed builds because someone build pretty much exactly this...

GrindCustoms

One thing i'd do is put a loop between the effect before DI and DI, in case you'd want some modulation, delays... anything that you'd like to get to the PA aswell.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

Good point on the FX loop.

I've been having fun with my Squier Affinity P-bass on Rocksmith, my left hand hasn't gotten used to stretching for bass frets, though!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

Quote from: alanp on March 07, 2015, 11:10:18 PM
Good point on the FX loop.

I've been having fun with my Squier Affinity P-bass on Rocksmith, my left hand hasn't gotten used to stretching for bass frets, though!

In real life situation, when you can't reach.. you simply do a blurry slide up the neck.. always works, it's just bass after all.  :P

Seen that too many times with sloppy bands.  ::) ...end of derail.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Willybomb

QuoteBalanced Line Driver from TH Customs

I've used this in two builds now and I'm really happy with it.  Works as advertised.  For the bass preamp side of things I like the NE-1.  Paulinthelab has a vero layout, rullywowr put up a build report with a pcb he'd designed for it.

neve1272

i have wanted to build something like this for the wife for some time but with a good compressor too
have some boards stuffed and waiting for more time / parts
Kip

bcalla

I'm in the planning stages for one of these, but I'm not 100% sure of what I will include.  This is what I have so far: one of rullywowr's NE-1 PCBs, a TH Custom line driver, a GPCB Paramix, and 2-3 compressor PCBs to pick from.  I also ordered a Bass Driver DI / Sans Amp from Brejna and a Fluffgirl from Rej.  It will take a while to sort this out.

brejna

I am currently working on the 3 in 1 bass pedal for my band mate. Carl martin compressor > Blower box > Bass driver DI. I am waiting for blower pcbs, enclosure and few components to arrive..

jimilee

Quote from: patrickbrose on March 08, 2015, 07:30:48 AM

Quote from: thesameage on March 07, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51533

Yup that is my build. Works as you would expect. Any questions?
Can you walk us through the wiring, that's genius. I think I get it but I'd like to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

GrindCustoms

Shameless prostitution, i have fully populated, tested Thomas Line Driver for sale in the BST, all built with premium components, using audiophile grade caps for the balanced out.

patrickbrose

Sure,
Input jack goes to true bypass switch with the ginger on the true bypass. After the TB the out of the TB switch goes to the tip of the output jack and to the center lug of a SPDT center off toggle. One half of the toggle goes to the line driver DI, the other half to the headphone amp. So possible combinations:
1. Bypass everything
2. Ginger only to output in front
3. Ginger-->DI
4. Ginger-->Headphone amp

5. DI only
6. Headphone amp only

7. Ginger-->DI and front out in parallel
8. Ginger-->Headphone amp and front out in parallel
Only combination you can't do is both the DI and Headphone amp at the same time.

patrickbrose

3. Ginger-->DI
7. Ginger--> DI and front out in parallel