patrickbrose

Not sure why things aren't showing up.

3: Ginger to DI

bcalla

Quote from: jimilee on March 08, 2015, 10:40:39 AM

Quote from: patrickbrose on March 08, 2015, 07:30:48 AM

Quote from: thesameage on March 07, 2015, 10:59:56 PM
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51533

Yup that is my build. Works as you would expect. Any questions?
Can you walk us through the wiring, that's genius. I think I get it but I'd like to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How are you guys getting into the BYOC forum?  I have been getting an SQL error all day.

Lubdar

Its strange how just the other day I was wondering about this sort of thing and lo and behold I'm fortunate enough to find it.
(--c^.^)--c

jimilee

Quote from: patrickbrose on March 08, 2015, 01:18:37 PM
Sure,
Input jack goes to true bypass switch with the ginger on the true bypass. After the TB the out of the TB switch goes to the tip of the output jack and to the center lug of a SPDT center off toggle. One half of the toggle goes to the line driver DI, the other half to the headphone amp. So possible combinations:
1. Bypass everything
2. Ginger only to output in front
3. Ginger-->DI
4. Ginger-->Headphone amp

5. DI only
6. Headphone amp only

7. Ginger-->DI and front out in parallel
8. Ginger-->Headphone amp and front out in parallel
Only combination you can't do is both the DI and Headphone amp at the same time.
That's badass, I'm going to have to read this about 100 more times to wrap my head around it, brilliant!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

I've had this in my head for a while, but just settled on a nice bass 2x1 of Rej's Bass Behemoth and the 1 knob Engineer's Thumb comp from JMK. Still wiring it up, but here it is right now. Until I finish Midway Fair's Swamp Comp, this will handle all of my most basic needs:

jimilee

Is that the behemoth into the comp?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Comp into the Behemoth. It's still in progress, though... do you think it would be better the other way around?

jimilee

Quote from: thesameage on March 09, 2015, 07:07:24 AM
Comp into the Behemoth. It's still in progress, though... do you think it would be better the other way around?
Nope, I've done it both ways, the comp really limits the behemoth, that's why I was asking, didn't want you to make that mistake. As a matter of fact I thought something was wrong with my behemoth til I realized what I had done.

thesameage

Cool... so Comp>Behemoth is the way to go? What did you find worked well after the Behemoth?

jimilee

Bass overdrive delay phaser chorus

Lubdar

Hi Team,
   I'm not sure if this has been covered before so please excuse my naïveté, but would a cab sim be useful at all if I was looking to create a bass DI box strictly for recording.  I've been able to follow the logic in this thread for the most part, but I was just wondering whether or not a cab sim would be of any use or not.
I.e. Ginger==>FX Loop==>CabSim==>DI?

If not, is there a good lay explanation anyone could provide to help me understand?

Best,
Lubdar
(--c^.^)--c

alanp

I thought the Ginger was supposed to emulate an old Ampeg Portaflex? (I'd take anyone else's word over mine, though!)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: Lubdar on March 09, 2015, 10:14:41 AM
Hi Team,
   I'm not sure if this has been covered before so please excuse my naïveté, but would a cab sim be useful at all if I was looking to create a bass DI box strictly for recording.  I've been able to follow the logic in this thread for the most part, but I was just wondering whether or not a cab sim would be of any use or not.
I.e. Ginger==>FX Loop==>CabSim==>DI?

If not, is there a good lay explanation anyone could provide to help me understand?

Best,
Lubdar
It's all about toan chasing. It's not necessary to have one but if you like the sound, go with it. It's a nice alternative to lugging a bass amp in to the studio.

Lubdar

Ahh good to know, I'm finding myself more and more interested in DI boxes, since I'm restricted to late hours and an apartment.
(--c^.^)--c

patrickbrose

Honestly, for silent practice, nothing beats my bass/guitar into my iPad running Jam-up. Sounds great and is really inexpensive.