News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"This guitar is the best I've ever played!"

Started by alanp, March 08, 2015, 09:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I sometimes wonder if there's something wrong with me when I see a constant flow of auctions, where people are selling Gibson Les Pauls, PRS-whatevers, etc, all with the comment:

"This is one of the best guitars I've ever played!"

... and, typically, with a shopping list of aftermarket parts bolted onto it. And it makes me wonder to myself, "If it's so good, why would you get rid of it and get a new guitar of unknown trouser-rustling ability?"

This could just be my inner hoarder.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

You know, my first reaction to that is to call it BS.

However, I've built and had gear that really was great but just wasn't all that useful to me or maybe it was redundant.

So, 85% BS?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Sold the best sounding guitar I'd ever owned because I just couldn't get on with the neck.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gordo

Have sold gear just because I was bored with it.  I've since turned into a hoarder and won't part with ANYTHING.  But yes, my BS detector goes off when I read that.

I picked up a baseline Line6 Variax 300 on ebay for a few hundred bucks a few years ago and the seller listed it as "professionally setup" (BS flag #1), and "one of the best playing guitars ever played" (BS flag #2).  It shows up at my doorstep and not only does it look better than the ebay photos, but had one of the best setups I've played and remains one of my favorite guitars.  Its like an old pair of slippers.

Maybe he was bored with it...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

I've sold or traded some excellent gear that I really liked. Mostly I sell guitars or amps for a few reasons (and usually more than one applies): Limited funds, limited space, don't play it often or at all. If I really want something new, I usually have to get rid of something old. Not always, but most of the time that's how it goes. So I have to make some tough decisions, but it mostly comes down to what doesn't get played (regardless of quality or relative awesomeness).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

gtr2

Maybe they prefer poorly playing guitars more  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

EBRAddict

I think part of it is they rush out, plop down the credit card and buy yet another  $2,500 guitar without thinking it through. It may sound great, but how many gold top Les Pauls does one man need?  :-\

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Depends on whether they're gold top Les Pauls, or just investment widgets that will hopefully appreciate in value.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GermanCdn

Someone please explain to me the meaning of " how many does one need", I am unfamiliar with the concept.

As far as selling great playing/sounding/looking gear, the reality is some gear doesn't make the cut when you have to cull the herd, and it gets sold.  I typically don't try to oversell stuff that doesn't make the cut (I usually start by "it's time to thin the herd", in fact I think i have a template setup in ebay just for that).  Sometimes you just can't live with the neck profile/control configuration/colour, kind of what CJ and JS were alluding to.  Then, of course, you realize you were wrong, and go buy another one.

And the answer to how many goldtops is enough is 11.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

No - Curtis hasn't grown up yet - I think I'd rather never grow up and be like Curtis.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on March 08, 2015, 04:15:56 PM
Maybe they prefer poorly playing guitars more  ;)

This would match up perfectly with my poor playing  :P
John

raulduke

I guess sometimes people need cash for whatever reason they may have.

Some musicians do also seem to be impulsive types when it comes to purchases... and the grass is always greener and all that.

I think my favourite BS sellers lingo is 'plays like butter'. That one always makes me laugh.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer