News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking Diode Test

Started by JakeFuzz, June 12, 2011, 12:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Here it is. Sorry for the bad playing, just one of those days and not feeling it at all. Ran out of my 10 minutes before giving my opinions. The LM313H is the best sounding. The two germanium diodes (1n60 and 1n34) are much more clean, but have a fizziness to the breakup. The BAT41 and the LM313H are very similar with the BAT41 being quieter and more compressed sounding. The BAT46 sounds like the BAT41 but louder and cleaner. The LM's stay! As mentioned the Sunking uses NE5532P's in both positions, uses 6.8n instead of the 3.9n cap, nichicon micro audio grade capacitors, metal film caps in all but two positions and epcos box or panasonic films in the non-polar positions.

Hope this helps everyone out in there diode selections. Thanks Tubeman for the hot tip on these diodes they really do sound good.

slimtriggers

Great demo!  I liked the LM313h the best, but the BAT46 was a close second IMHO.  Thanks for doing this 8)

Haberdasher

I couldn't tell much difference between the BAT41 and LM313h with my lil AKG headphones, but I assume it's more evident if you're in the room.  Anyway, I though they both sounded good.  Thanks for the demo!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

k.rock!

Quote from: slimtriggers on June 12, 2011, 02:30:53 AM
Great demo!  I liked the LM313h the best, but the BAT46 was a close second IMHO.  Thanks for doing this 8)

Haha I was LITERALLY writing the same thing a few hours ago but had to lock my phone and forgot to hit Post!

Very cool demo Paul, thanks a lot! I do think the LMs sound best here

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

This is an awesome demo! The sunking really is a great sounding pedal. Personally I think all the diodes you tryed sound great and could be good candidates for this pedal!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Analog Design Audio

great demo very helpfull

Really enjoy listen to Floyd Track :)

Michael
Pink Floyd

nzCdog

cool demo and nice playin

JakeFuzz

I swapped in two TL072's for the opamps and found that they sound better than the NE5532's! More sustain and an even attack response. I might just play around with more opamps to see what I can find.

jimmybjj

Thanks, your demo's are awesome! Where do you buy the lm313h's?
Pcbs no longer available

jtn191

JakeFuzz

Yeah I bought mine from Talon. You have to put a little dielectric material to separate the outer casings from shorts, the case is connected to one side of the P-N junction. I am amazed at how much the TL072's changed the sound, I like them much better. I will have to try 4558's maybe tomorrow.

jtn191

so what'd you use to insulate it , Jake? And does the polarity of the LM313s matter?

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jtn191 on July 09, 2011, 09:29:21 AM
so what'd you use to insulate it , Jake? And does the polarity of the LM313s matter?

Haha, you're going laugh but I just cut a small square from an index card and stuck it between them. I cut the leads pretty short so there was a lot of spring force between the two metal casings, enough to hold the card in by friction. If i had to do it again (or maybe I will in the future) I would use maybe a liquid rubberize (the stuff they use for tool handles) or heat shrink.

Yeah the polarity matters. It doesn't necessarily need to match the silkscreen but they should be facing the same direction (on the physical layout not the actual circuit). There should be a little tab denoting one end of the diode, just make sure those are facing in the same direction when you put them in. 

Hirti

Thanks for the demo, the LM313H do sound really great and I was tempted to order some of them (especially since they are pretty cheap at Talon) but 19$ shipping to Austria? No, thank you. :o

JakeFuzz

Just swapped in some TLE2072's  :o. Best overdrive i've ever heard that isn't coming from an amp.

Also put a BB OPA2107 in my Timmy, amazing.