News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tube Driver

Started by Guitarmageddon, March 14, 2015, 10:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmageddon

My build of the THcustom Tube Driver.
Sounds nice, I've kinda missed the boat on these valve designs I'm seeing around.  I've had people asking "why don't you build something with a tube in it?" for so long. Never thought it worth the trouble at low voltage. The charge pump in this one puts out 70v from a 9v supply, or 100v from my 12v one. It's a really fun project and Thomas is a nice guy to deal with.

Spent about a week debugging it because I stupidly soldered the tube socket to the wrong side of the board.  ::) Thanks for you help Thomas.

I've run through a bunch of them, and some were definitely nicer than others, but find a 12AX7 to be too much gain for my taste, got a 12AU7 in there at the moment which I like much more, but getting some 12AT7. I think they will strike a nice middle ground. Decay can be a bit fizzy, I'm hoping tweaking the bias will fix that. Added a 100pf cap to ground to shave off a little brightness too.

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

AntKnee

I am digging this build! The swiss cheese-style venting is cool!
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

alanp

Sorry, dude, but I had a good laugh at first. "Hahaha, a blue LED where it can't be seen, just to light up the valve!" (Toobs are what you get inside bicycle tyres.)

Then I noticed the vent holes.

Bloody nice build.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Doesn't really get better than the 12AU7 in that. The 12AX7 isn't really being pushed hard enough by the pump running from a 9v source, from a 12v it's better but that's a valve that likes it's voltage. The 12AU7 in comparison is surprisingly sweet even a low voltage. Tis a nice thing. Try an RCA 12AU7A cleartop if you can find one. Thinking about it, a 12BH7 sounds lovely... Bit pricey mind and not really worth the difference from a RCA.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Willybomb

Looks like I'm going to have to build a valve pedal one of these days...  I love my Blackstar, wonder if something running off 9v gets close.

sirbergersworth

very cool build

I have some 60's 12BH7's from an old hammond organ. I would definitly trade you one or some for this pedal. lmao. seriously, I would trade one or some for something.
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

lincolnic

Those shotgun-scatter vent holes are so awesome.

TGP39

Quote from: juansolo on March 15, 2015, 01:23:51 AM
Doesn't really get better than the 12AU7 in that. The 12AX7 isn't really being pushed hard enough by the pump running from a 9v source, from a 12v it's better but that's a valve that likes it's voltage. The 12AU7 in comparison is surprisingly sweet even a low voltage. Tis a nice thing. Try an RCA 12AU7A cleartop if you can find one. Thinking about it, a 12BH7 sounds lovely... Bit pricey mind and not really worth the difference from a RCA.

I think Merlin Blancowe agrees with you John.....

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Triodes_at_low_voltages_Blencowe.pdf

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on March 14, 2015, 10:47:19 PM
Sorry, dude, but I had a good laugh at first. "Hahaha, a blue LED where it can't be seen, just to light up the valve!" (Toobs are what you get inside bicycle tyres.)

Then I noticed the vent holes.

Bloody nice build.

Haha! My thoughts too. Except I call them tubes. :)

jimilee

Are the board and the stomp in danger of getting a little hot?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thomas_H

Very cool build!

Great you got it going. First buildof the inside driver with Tube LED :)
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Guitarmageddon

Thanks for the comments guys!
Tubes/Valves  ;D I'm Australian so I grew up calling them Valves, but affected "Tubes" having been pulled up on it so many times on US dominated forums. :P
Quote from: jimilee on March 16, 2015, 06:31:37 AM
Are the board and the stomp in danger of getting a little hot?
The ...erm... "miniature dual triode device" doesn't generate much heat, just glows gently and gets mildly warm.
The regulator on the other hand gets hot enough to burn! I'm going to bolt it to the side of the enclosure, but, no, I'm not concerned about heat build up inside. 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

sirbergersworth

A few 12BH7 I found in an old organ.
They are about 5.8 mm tall. That measurement is taken of glass only. no pins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-Robert Hunter

sirbergersworth

Did you try the 12BH7 yet? Interested in your results.
-Robert Hunter