News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best muff/muff variant for bass?

Started by thesameage, March 16, 2015, 06:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Oft discussed, I know. Any new thoughts or opinions? Variants that haven't been discussed for bass? Anyone try the ultrastoner? Musket?

I like my pharaoh a lot... but I'm always looking.

jimilee

Green Russian is my favorite for bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Betty Wont

op amp muff with clean blend for me.

thesameage

Quote from: Torgoslayer on March 16, 2015, 07:11:41 AM

Why the op amp muff? What works for you with that?

Betty Wont

Quote from: thesameage on March 16, 2015, 07:16:58 AM
Quote from: Torgoslayer on March 16, 2015, 07:11:41 AM

Why the op amp muff? What works for you with that?

Its not as scooped (not as important if you have mids control), has a lower noise floor (important to me), it seems louder and clearer on bass, and it takes well to the blend circuit (schooner).

the3secondrule

Civil war muff, with tone bypass switch gets my vote for bass.
Thick and wooly, heap of low end, and the tone bypass gives a bit of mid-range bite.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

lars

I've built the King of Muffs version that pryde came up with:   http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12012.msg108432#msg108432, and I imagine that would work for bass guitars as well since the cap values are generally larger than other versions. It is seriously the best Big Muff I've ever tried...extremely versatile. Lots of low end. I also modded it a little further by adding the "contour" control from juansolo's Big Muff spreadsheet: http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/Muffs.htm. This thing does everything from overdrive to fuzz now.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....