News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using ESR Tester for GE leakage etc

Started by fman7, March 18, 2015, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fman7

Hey,

just wondered if anyone had used one of those Ebay digital ESR meters (they test everything, resistors, caps, BJT's, FET's) to test Germanium Transistors?

thanks

Frank

EBRAddict

I have two versions of the eBay testers for convenience. They both show ICB0 and "B".

I'm assuming this is collector current with base current = 0 and DC current gain which is hFE.

The ICB0 doesn't match what I calculate for leakage using the R. G. Keen method detailed on Geofex. I'm not sure what biasing or current they are using. However, if it is bad on the tester the measured leakage from the other method will typically be bad as well, and vice versa. For example the ICB0 on a couple fake Chinese AC128 PNP was 1.2mA on the tester, and I measured 0.824mA on the test rig.

As for the "B" or beta I find neither of them useful. I'm not sure what current or biasing they're using but I can't replicate the result.

PigeonFX

I have a couple of the all in one ebay cheap Chinese specials

But have found For ESR, the ESR100 unit is the best by far, and for transistor test swear by my Peak DCA55 Atlas Semiconductor Component Analyser (if your going to be testing lots of GE transistors).
I'm PigeonFX - www.pigeonfx.com