News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lots o Fuzz

Started by JakeFuzz, June 15, 2011, 02:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Here is my fuzz collection. I will post the remaining two hopefully tomorrow. I was interrupted by sleeping children before I could finish!

NOS Mullard black glass OC140 germanium fuzz face. Q2 is biased at 5.1 volts and the output cap is 47nF.

Lunar Module with all NOS TI BC109C

Screwdriver with AC176 (hfe ~100) not on a Cosmo board but should be almost the same.

JakeFuzz

Okay The last two on my board at the moment. I have a prototyped fuzz face with 2n404 PNP's that I built up last night but my proto box has a broken output jack  :-[ . So Maybe later when I get the Warhead up and running I can demo that too.

CV7112 Germanium Fuzz Face with the Fuller mods, external Q2 bias. 47n Output cap biased to around 4.8v in this video.

Skreddy Mayo clone can be built on the Mudbunny board. This is on perfboard and is one of the very first usable pedals I built. Has a flat mids switch and a switch to change the first three trannies to 2n5089 from 2n5088 (very subtle change 2n5088 has more "triangliness" too it).

k.rock!

Yesss!! This is awesome Paul...great demos! The fuzz face is really smooth! sounds great. The lunar fuzz is definitely the most aggressive which I love...and the screwdriver was in between the lunar and the FF in terms of aggressiveness...they all sound fantastic.

Thanks for this man! I'll be hooked checking your demos as you post them!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thanks for these fantastic demos! That fuzz face is huge and gnarly. I'm hearing so much bass response and that clean-up ability is even more amazing. Your really hitting the nail on the head in terms on tone of this one!  :)
Didn't realize the SD and LM were so close. Definitely sounds like the lunar module I built. Fat muffy fuzz that sounds super smooth. I have to admit that its much more versatile than a normal 3 knob muff and can really shape shift! Stoked to see the rest of the pedals your gonna demo.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Thanks guys. Coming up next are the Mayo and the FF with CV7112's. The two fuzz faces sound very similar but the CV7112's are slightly smoother and warmer than the OC140's.

Kaleb, you nailed it with that description. Th LM and SD sound similar with the SD having a more germanium warmth to it. I love all of them. I am a fuzz fanatic. I also bought a bunch of NOS 2n404's from Julien that I cannot wait to fire up on the R&D board.

Also my Warhead Vibe should be done in the next few days here...

k.rock!

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 15, 2011, 03:38:04 AM
Thanks guys. Coming up next are the Mayo and the FF with CV7112's. The two fuzz faces sound very similar but the CV7112's are slightly smoother and warmer than the OC140's.

Kaleb, you nailed it with that description. Th LM and SD sound similar with the SD having a more germanium warmth to it. I love all of them. I am a fuzz fanatic. I also bought a bunch of NOS 2n404's from Julien that I cannot wait to fire up on the R&D board.

Also my Warhead Vibe should be done in the next few days here...

Great! Thanks! haha I'm really looking forward to hear the CV7112s in action man...I ordered a pair of those based on your suggestions for my first Fuzz Face! I can't wait to get them in to fire it up...It's gonna be called the Kreigsheld Flaum (War Hero Fuzz). I'm excited! :D

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

lincolnic

Any chance you've got an Os Mutantes fuzz to be demoed? I've been really curious about hearing that one.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: lincolnic on June 15, 2011, 04:46:46 AM
Any chance you've got an Os Mutantes fuzz to be demoed? I've been really curious about hearing that one.

I wish man. I need to bread board that up and see how it sounds. I don't usually have those trannies around but I can find something that works.

Quote from: k.rock! on June 15, 2011, 04:28:29 AM

Great! Thanks! haha I'm really looking forward to hear the CV7112s in action man...I ordered a pair of those based on your suggestions for my first Fuzz Face! I can't wait to get them in to fire it up...It's gonna be called the Kreigsheld Flaum (War Hero Fuzz). I'm excited! :D

-Kaleb

Yes!!! You wont regret it, best sounding FF trannies I have ever tried, Ill try and get a demo up tomorrow but you'll love it guaranteed. You building a straight FF or adding on mods? I really like 47n as an output cap, maintains the bassiness of the Germanium fuzz but has good clarity for single note stuff, definitely socket and experiment this position. 

night-B

Great vids! Keep'em coming   ;)

dwstanford

Quote from: lincolnic on June 15, 2011, 04:46:46 AM

I just built one of these rcently.  I will try to get a video together for it soon.  I have been meaning to make a contribution to this section anyway.  I experimented with several transistors and gains and I can demo different types so you can decide for yourself what you like the best.  My favorites were actual metal can 2n2222a's around 180 and 220.

k.rock!

Yes!!! You wont regret it, best sounding FF trannies I have ever tried, Ill try and get a demo up tomorrow but you'll love it guaranteed. You building a straight FF or adding on mods? I really like 47n as an output cap, maintains the bassiness of the Germanium fuzz but has good clarity for single note stuff, definitely socket and experiment this position. 

Yeah I'm planning to build a straight FF with an external bias control just for fun :) I'll definitely play with that output cap! I had bought already an orange drop 10n, but I'll just go get a 47n for experimentation as well ;) Thanks for the suggestions! Really looking forward to hearing those CV7112s in action man!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

JakeFuzz

Vids are up! Julien hooked it up with a bunch of 2n404's so ill try and get my broken design board together and demo that next along with my Warhead which should be done tomorrow or Friday! Excited  ;D 

k.rock!

Whoa!! It does sound incredible! They both do! Great job man...

I'm curious, how did you use the CV7112s? According to this link:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c721895133dc76daac87b2939f960a83&topic=45124.0

It says that those are symmetrical, which means they can use the "dot" marking as the emitter or as the collector and that there is a gain difference on them...Did you know about this??

Anyways, thanks for posting these. Can't wait till I get mine in :D
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

JakeFuzz

Quote from: k.rock! on June 15, 2011, 10:35:07 PM
Whoa!! It does sound incredible! They both do! Great job man...

I'm curious, how did you use the CV7112s? According to this link:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c721895133dc76daac87b2939f960a83&topic=45124.0

It says that those are symmetrical, which means they can use the "dot" marking as the emitter or as the collector and that there is a gain difference on them...Did you know about this??

Anyways, thanks for posting these. Can't wait till I get mine in :D

Yeah I found that too and really want to try them out the other way. I use the red dot as the collector, I cant really remember why but I think it was an old article that I found that specified this pinout convention. You may end up with OC140's, I did when I ordered that pair a second time from SB (years after the first pair). But they both sound almost identical (and I just account for it in the gain differences).

lincolnic

Quote from: dwstanford on June 15, 2011, 07:54:22 PM
I just built one of these rcently.  I will try to get a video together for it soon.  I have been meaning to make a contribution to this section anyway.  I experimented with several transistors and gains and I can demo different types so you can decide for yourself what you like the best.  My favorites were actual metal can 2n2222a's around 180 and 220.

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing it, thanks!