News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to build into wah shells other than wahs?

Started by Jopn, March 24, 2015, 05:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

I keep getting entry level vox and dunlop wahs in trades.  I don't really ever use a wah.  Any suggestions of some other effect to build in there?  I've got a decent volume pedal already.  I'm just fresh out of ideas and needing inspiration.

Cheers,

John

Luke51411

Phaser or vibe would be the obvious one. I've often thought about putting a delay in a wah shell and using the treadle for the time pot as a sort of warp/detune, not sure how that would work.

Shrtyska9

Quote from: Luke51411 on March 24, 2015, 05:38:15 PM
Phaser or vibe would be the obvious one. I've often thought about putting a delay in a wah shell and using the treadle for the time pot as a sort of warp/detune, not sure how that would work.

I think I would wire the feedback pot so you could go from a repeat or two to dub style oscillation with the pedal.

Richard

Richard

selfdestroyer

Tremolo with speed mapped to the treadle.

A fuzz with the gain mapped to the treadle.

Reverb with the depth/feedback mapped to the treadle.... Pretty much anything would be cool in there that you would want a control foot controlled.

Cody

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Luke51411

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on March 24, 2015, 06:01:11 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on March 24, 2015, 05:38:15 PM

I think I would wire the feedback pot so you could go from a repeat or two to dub style oscillation with the pedal.

Richard
That would be pretty cool too.

Lubdar

Quote from: selfdestroyer on March 24, 2015, 06:02:13 PM
Tremolo with speed mapped to the treadle.
Cody

I've got to say that the tremolo in a wah has always sounded interesting.
(--c^.^)--c

Muadzin

I built me a Rabb Fuzz in a wah shell. Which is a modified Kay Fuzztone (also in a wah shell) that one of U2's techs modified for the Edge. Think the intro to Elevation.

Jopn

One of the things I'm trying to get my head around is the on/off.  Like for a fuzz, I wouldn't want to go full blast gain, then back it off (like you would with a wah).  I could reverse the pot connections, but there's also the issue of volume drop/bump that's going to happen with gain.  You'd almost want to dual gang it with (reversed) volume or something.

The more I type, the more I'm thinking trem.  Ohhhh, I think I picked up the parts for the Moosapotamus Skippy Trem.  I may have even populated a vero layout for it, now that I think of it.  I'd probably still reverse the speed pot since it's pretty ring-mod like at full speed, although I'll have to see how that actually works out since I'll only be working with a portion of the pot's rotation.

Ok, now the wheels are turning, thanks guys!