News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lunar Blast (shoot the moon tremolo)

Started by rullywowr, March 25, 2015, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Powder coated flat black, laser etched graphics. Kobiconn jacks, Detour Silent Optical Bypass, blue led in the crown for rate.  Used an orange 3mm flat top LED for the LDR combo which is nice because it's flat. Sounds killer.  I'll have some PCBs up on the site shortly.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Leevibe

That is a VERY handsome pedal. And I want some of that ribbon cable!!

Luke51411

So clean inside and hooray for flat LEDs! Great looking pedal.

jubal81

Quote from: Leevibe on March 25, 2015, 06:12:40 PM

+1 Damn that's hot.

So, how do you strip that ribbon cable?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Quote from: jubal81 on March 25, 2015, 06:18:07 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on March 25, 2015, 06:12:40 PM

+1 Damn that's hot.

So, how do you strip that ribbon cable?

Thanks guys! 

I scored it with a razor and then used a crappy pair of HF wire strippers to pull it off.  Looking for a upgrade pair for sure. 

Flat top LED for the win next to the LDR

pryde

You are putting out absolutely superb work my friend.

cooder

What everyone else said... Awesomeness in a box!
BigNoise Amplification

Tremster

bcalla

jimilee

Ribbon cable ftw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

studiodunn

That is a SUPER tidy build. Great Job!

billstein

Man I wish I had access to a laser etcher. This is so classy looking.

pickdropper

That's a really nice etch, Ben.

As I am sure you know, black doesn't always laser etch well as the powder coat tends to aggressively stick.  Yours looks nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

luks999

awesome work ben :) fantastic looking pedal inside and outside!
any chance for a demo?

rullywowr

Thanks guys...I have another very similar appearing pedal in the works...it's almost becoming a theme ;)

I'll be straight up honest, this powdercoat (Matte Black) is from Harbor Freight (!?!?).  Yeah, I know...mind blown.
I have tons of colors from other suppliers but lately the matte black has been striking my fancy.  The HF powder works so I can't complain.  Prebake enclosure, wipe with acetone, and bake once.

Quote from: pickdropper on March 26, 2015, 10:06:33 AM
As I am sure you know, black doesn't always laser etch well as the powder coat tends to aggressively stick.  Yours looks nice and clean.

I feel the key is to always etch twice.  It doesn't matter if I burn at 100% power (30w) or less...to get it to really look clean I always burn twice.  Perhaps 100 percent power with 60% speed.  With just one pass, the etch can look pretty "green".  I've been autofocusing for the first run and then for the second just burning without auto focus as I am worried it possibly can screw up the allignment.  A third pass doesn't really do anything so I skip it.

I use naptha to clean up any residue as it is safe on powdercoat and plastics.  My jigs I have made out of spare acrylic make the whole process go so much faster.

Attached is a PDF of my template for etching 1590B.  I may in the future move the align point to bottom left, but it works.  I also find the key is to keep the boxes close together so they etch faster (less movement for the carriage do do).  I just align laser with the align point.  On the actual template in Corel, I have an "inner ring" which shows the printable area of the top of a 1590b.  I use this attached to the artwork to center everything and then just hide that layer before printing. 

If anyone wants the actual CorelDraw file let me know.