News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ninety Ninety (NomNom)

Started by mcallisterra, March 29, 2015, 04:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

So I built this one a while ago omitting the Nom switch so as to leave it in 'Script' mode the whole time. I did an alcohol ink finish which just didn't hold up to gigging (I don't think I did a good job finishing it to be honest though, I had lots of problems with it). I decided I'd refinish it, and while I was at it, decided to add the Nom switch.

I thought I'd try my hand at etching because I hate that newly-finished-pedal-don't-want-to-gig-it feeling. I started over with a blank enclosure and used a tutorial I found here, although I can't remember who by. The one in the example is the 'Subtlety Drive'. Anyway it was an excellent tutorial and worked great (using photo paper) once I got the paper off. I had to do 4 attempts though because every time I tried to remove the paper, loads of the toner flaked off. I finally realized I didn't think I was getting the box hot enough for long enough so I fixed that and it worked much better.

This was also my first time starting with a totally blank enclosure and drilling everything. Took the advice I saw here repeatedly and purchased some step bits, and was surprised at how much of a non-event it was even using a hand drill.

Special thanks to TreeSlayer for the trimpot that somehow evaded me on my order!

Here are some pics:

pryde

That was my etching  tutorial and I am very glad it worked for you. It looks fantastic, great job!

mcallisterra

Thanks! And thank you for the awesome tutorial! I had put off trying etching until I came across that one - it was the help I needed to push me into giving it a go!

flanagan0718

Looks great bud! Love the simplicity of the etch.

mcallisterra

I thought I better start simple - trying it for myself gave me a whole new appreciation for the crazy intricate etches I see here!

jimilee

Really a beautiful first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

bcalla

Beautiful etch.  I'll dig up pryde's tutorial and give it a shot.

mcallisterra

Quote from: bcalla on March 30, 2015, 07:24:03 AM
Beautiful etch.  I'll dig up pryde's tutorial and give it a shot.

Thanks! I was going to post a link in my original post, but I had downloaded the PDF a while back when I stumbled upon it and lost the original link.

TreeSlayer

Good lookin build, Bubba! i just might try the etch thing myself...

LT
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

Schectadon

Excellent etch, i think i will read that tutorial myself.
Formerly known as TwistdDeth

rullywowr

This build just exudes class.  Love that etch...so clean and formal.  Nice choice with the ECQ caps and sturdy 1/4" jacks too.  This is a keeper!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

studiodunn

Awesome job, and on a first etch to boot. A+!

Jebus

Looks awesome! Step bits was easily best purchase I have done in ages.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: pryde on March 30, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
Here is a link if you want to check it out: Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzpig6axmhhpltm/Enclosure%20Etching%20Tutorial%20JPGuitarworks%202013.pdf
i just downloaded the PDF. it doesn't say how to make the reverse image. is that a function of the printer?

lt
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King