News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Soddering...

Started by juansolo, March 31, 2015, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Hah, here's one you lot will take awhile to work out what the word really is.

Chur, bro.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

ohnoz! sloid glod thread n teh mayking ;D

Leevibe

It's funny to my American ears when I hear the English dropping 'r's from words but then adding them where they don't belong. What's up with adding 'r's at the end of words ending in vowels if the next word begins with a vowel?

I've seen a couple pedal names that tried to capitalize on this, but I don't think they got it right. I remember reading that the Supa Trem was supposed to be a joke and that it would be pronounced Super Trem by the British. I think Mike Fuller didn't get the memo that 't' is a consonant.

I'm going to invent a desoldering pump and call it the "Sollda Extracta".

billstein

Quote from: Leevibe on April 02, 2015, 07:17:59 AM
It's funny to my American ears when I hear the English dropping 'r's from words but then adding them where they don't belong. What's up with adding 'r's at the end of words ending in vowels if the next word begins with a vowel?

For the first half of our time in England Princess Dianer was still alive.

One of the classics to me, and is still stuck in my head is "bottle of water" being "bah-o of woe-ah".  I really miss England at times.

Great place.

Shrtyska9

Quote from: jimilee on March 31, 2015, 07:39:17 AM
Herbs when you pronounce the "H" which isn't pronounced WITH the "H"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growing up we used to call people "herbs" pronouncing the h. Meaning uncool or being a dick.
Now we smoke herbs and it's all good. 😄😜✌️lol

Richard

brucer

Well, at least the change fits in nicely well with my self-chat whilst soddering:

- sodding soddering iron!
- sodding sodder!
- sodding board!
... you get the idea.  :)

m-Kresol

Time for a non native speaker to chime in. I believe that my english is very good, credit goes to all the TV shows I'm watching, to all the science related literature being published in english and of course my semester in Calgary also helped.
However, I found it quite irritating to hear soddering the first time. Honestly, it still is. In my opinion soldering makes more sense. But hey, what do I know. My friends from Vienna can't understand me when I'm talking on the phone to people from my hometown, so I guess you could just pass of 'soddering' as a form of dialect/accent/slang. As long as you know what the other person is talking about. :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

davent

As an english only speaker I've no recollection of ever hearing it pronounce any other way then sodder/sawder. You've got me curious now, do you rhyme it with colder/folder etc, how does it roll?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

culturejam

Quote from: Leevibe on April 02, 2015, 07:17:59 AM
It's funny to my American ears when I hear the English dropping 'r's from words but then adding them where they don't belong.

Happens in Long Island, too. Or, as I call it, Lon Guyland, which is how a lot of the natives say it.  ;D

I used to work with a LI native that constantly talked about wanting a "vodker tonic" to drink and some "pizzer" to eat.   :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

Quote from: davent on April 02, 2015, 10:43:50 AM
As an english only speaker I've no recollection of ever hearing it pronounce any other way then sodder/sawder. You've got me curious now, do you rhyme it with colder/folder etc, how does it roll?
dave

It's more like Saul-Der.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Haberdasher

Quote from: culturejam on April 02, 2015, 12:19:39 PM
dave

It's more like Saul-Der.
iirc i've also heard it with a long o
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Justus

Every time I try to hear the L in my mind, I get this guy's voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

GrindCustoms

After reading all this, i now feel like my spoken english is really not that bad... native are butchering it more than me.. haha!

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on April 02, 2015, 09:11:24 AM

Quote from: jimilee on March 31, 2015, 07:39:17 AM
Herbs when you pronounce the "H" which isn't pronounced WITH the "H"

Growing up we used to call people "herbs" pronouncing the h. Meaning uncool or being a dick.

And that makes lots of sense!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

billstein

dave

It's funny, I was reading this and chuckling then I thought "Hey wait! That's the way I say it. Sodder". To pronounce the L seems really strange.

alanp

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on April 02, 2015, 09:11:24 AM

Huh, there's a New Zealand band called Herbs. Pacifica reggae, VERY popular band over here. Everyone in Aotearoa has heard their song with Dave Dobbyn, Slice of Heaven.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website