News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Super 70

Started by lars, April 02, 2015, 04:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

This is a "repurposed" project made of lots of used parts. It's based off of pryde's King of Muffs http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12012.msg108432#msg108432, with an added contour control. The enclosure is from a failed project (JB weld is good), the knobs are from and old Bogen PA system, and the pcb is from an early 2000's Big Muff. It was one of the first pcbs I experimented on back in the day, so it has a ton of lifted traces I had to repair. Plus I had to drill some extra holes for new components that didn't fit right. The gut shot is anything but pretty :o. This thing rocks though, and is very versatile. The added mids and contour control really give the original Big Muff circuit new life; there are a lot of different fuzz tones you can get from this thing.

Got a quick demo up.
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/larsjm/super702[/soundcloud]

Leevibe

You nailed the '70s ethos! I love it.

micromegas

Love the artwork on this one! And the idea of using repurposed stuff. Cool build man!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Jebus

Looks awesome!. I've been thinking about building some Muff variant. Was thinking about the Pharaoh, but this seems even better.

billstein

Nice artwork and I love that gut shot. Legs sticking out of the PCB so you can solder onto them. Wires running all over the place. Taking a PCB ready for the rubbish bin and making it do what you want it to do. Then ending up with something you love. How great is that?

Luke51411

Perfect! Looks great and hooray for recycling, Nice trace repair job!!!

cooder

Yes very cool and the 70ties are so back!
BigNoise Amplification

Guitarmageddon

Love everything about this! 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

lars

Quote from: Jebus on April 02, 2015, 05:57:29 PM
Looks awesome!. I've been thinking about building some Muff variant. Was thinking about the Pharaoh, but this seems even better.
Yes, I would definitely recommend this version, mainly because of that added midrange control.
I realized now that I mislabeled the "contour" control...it was actually supposed to say "colour" (off juansolo's big muff spreadsheet).

pryde

Great build and ability to recycle.
I am glad you found the King of Muffs circuit to your liking  :)

bcalla

Quote from: cooder on April 02, 2015, 06:58:55 PM
Yes very cool and the 70ties are so back!

Hmm...   Some of us never left the 70s behind.

Great build!

peAk

Totally dig it

I love the retro vibe

TGP39

This is beautiful Lars. I think this build was the motivation you needed to recently sell your other Big Muff.  The enclosure looks brand new also. Pretty cool magic!

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

GrindCustoms

Yup! That's bitchin'! 8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/