News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Comic books: what are you into?

Started by micromegas, April 03, 2015, 06:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ettore_M

Torrents, of course. I'll look for them. Piratebay or something. Thanks for the idea and for the new titles.
Now we have a comic book thread! :D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

Willybomb

QuoteI also LOVE Footrot Flats, and the Dog.
I grew up on dairy farms, and Footrot Flats was almost mandatory reading.  We had a cat called Sampson, who while was a black stray (instead of a white stray), was the real life analog of Horse.  Seriously, over the course of his long life, he did the following:

- Regularly killed Red Bellied Blacks.... and then ate the heads.
- Beat up a full grown Labrador.
- Stared down approaching cars while sitting in the middle of the road.
- Once caught a mouse, brought it over to me, popped a single claw and disembowled it - never taking his eyes off me the whole time.  I got the hint.
- I was entering the house while he was exiting one time (I would have been 6 years old) and I thought it would be funny to slam his tail in the fly screen door.  His reaction was to instantly jump up and try and tear my face off.  I was lucky the flywire door was between him and me - he hung there for a good minute screaming blue murder at me.

But I digress.

There are a couple of comics that are must reads imo.

"The Boys".  This is about the suped up ordinary people who keep superheros in line.

"Injustice, Gods Amongst Us".  The Joker tricks Superman into killing Lois Lane and their unborn child.  Wacky hi-jinks follow.

Not so much, but still pretty good:

"Dan The Unharmable".  Unharmable beach bum gets around occasionally helping people out if he can be bothered.

"Knights of the Dinner Table".  If you like tabletop roleplaying games in any way you'll relate to this.

"Ferals".  Community of werewolves go around pranking the nation.  When I say "pranking", I mean, ripping people's arms off.

Mojo Fandangle

Judge Dredd and 2000AD, (except for when Dredd introduced Walter the Robot). I refuse to buy Dredd comics with Walter the Robot.

The other day a lawyer at my work who represents an Asbestos Company, told me about the comic book super hero 'Asbestos Girl'. He's a nice guy but he believes asbestos saves lives and doesn't kill people.

I thought it had to be bullshit so I googled it. It was sort of true but Asbestos Lady was really a villain from The Human Torch, who used her asbestos cape to fend off the Torch while setting fire to banks robbing them and was ranked as #9 in the 25 Crappiest Comic book characters of all time, (just below Arm Fall Off Guy, who's super power was pulling off his arm and beating people with it). The lawyer seemed a bit disappointed but did get a laugh out of it.

"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

peAk

As a kid, I was into the Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery stuff.

It's actually where my current avatars came from.

Chandler

Daredevil, Watchmen, Frank Miller stuff from the 80s, Gaiman's Sandman series, anything from the combo of Sale and Loeb. The Daredevil Yellow series has a timeless beauty that's hard to find elsewhere.

DuctTapeRiot

One I really remember from when I was a teen is The Maxx, which was also done by Image comics.  Its really bizarre and had crazy good artwork (Sam Keith).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maxx

wgc

Quote from: Chandler on April 08, 2015, 10:16:47 PM
Daredevil, Watchmen, Frank Miller stuff from the 80s, Gaiman's Sandman series, anything from the combo of Sale and Loeb. The Daredevil Yellow series has a timeless beauty that's hard to find elsewhere.

Love the sandman graphic novels!  also the sam kieth batman, I think he did 4 issues of Batman Confidential.  And Punisher Maxx graphic novels.

Somewhere I have a few boxes of comics from the late 70's early 80's.  FF, Amazing SpiderMan, Batman, Xmen, Avengers, Doc Strange, Iron Man.  Then I started playing guitar, and then driving.  No $$.  Someday I'd like to reread them.

Will definitely check the Maxx!

Anyone know if anything new has happened with cloak and dagger? 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings