News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

One-knob Magnavibe

Started by mcallisterra, April 04, 2015, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcallisterra

I had a 125B drilled for one knob sitting around, so a while back I started a thread asking everyone's favorite one-knob pedals, or pedals that could be good as one-knob versions with some trimmers inside. I like simplicity :)

I got loads of great suggestions, but the one I went with in the end was Hogharry's suggestion of a Magnavibe with a trimmer for the depth (this is the other one - Thanks TreeSlayer :) ), and the single outside knob being speed. I built it from the Tagboard Effects layout, and it fired up first time! Some pics:

I always like to try to do things I haven't before, so a couple of firsts for this one:
- First vero build!
- First time using a trimmer for a normally external control
- First time alcohol inks went on and stayed on successfully  ;D

The last time I tried the alcohol inks, I used purple, and the mod podge turned it into a nasty burgundy color. I did it again and just used polycrylic, and it just didn't last. This time, since the colors were greens and blues, the mod podge didn't affect the colors negatively. I then finished it with rattle can polyurethane which can also amber colors, but again it's not noticeable.

I need to find a better LDR because the one in there currently doesn't have a high enough dark resistance, so the effect is still quite subtle even with the depth maxed. I socketed the LED and LDR though and it's easy to get to so I'll try some others at a later date.

One last thing - is it ok to ground the pot like that? I didn't want to run another wire round if I could avoid it, so I just soldered a jumper to the pot case. It seems to work fine, but I just wondered if there was a reason you shouldn't do that?

Luke51411

Cool build! I've been thinking about building this one as well. Shouldn't be a problem with grounding the pot that way as long as the pot and jacks stay tight, especially for your own pedal. I probably wouldn't do that for a build that's going to someone else but that may be more out of paranoia than anything else. How do you like vero? Tagboard is a cool site and I've built dozens of their layouts.

LJangel

cool, I like the ink job.  never tried those

mcallisterra

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 04, 2015, 07:21:33 PM
Cool build! I've been thinking about building this one as well. Shouldn't be a problem with grounding the pot that way as long as the pot and jacks stay tight, especially for your own pedal. I probably wouldn't do that for a build that's going to someone else but that may be more out of paranoia than anything else. How do you like vero? Tagboard is a cool site and I've built dozens of their layouts.
Thanks! Yea I doubt this one will even get gigged. The singer in my band always complains about any pitch shifting effects ;D

I do prefer PCBs!

I guess vero is ok but I was getting frustrated at one point. Maybe my iron tip is too thick, because I was getting lots of solder bridges. At one point I was thinking it would be a miracle if it worked

Luke51411

Vero is nice because there are so many verified layouts. I preferred it to pcbs for a while because of the extra flexibility for modding but I haven't had as much luck with them lately.

mcallisterra

Yea. I'm already thinking of other ones I can do with the remaining vero I have haha.

Guitarmageddon

Nice build!
I have a one knob magnavibe too, love it, great circuit. 8)
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Cortexturizer

Looking great, good work! :)

I really like this circuit from the demos I've heard, sounds awesome. Unfortunatelly I am unable to get any depth from mine. It's barely perceptible when the effect is on. I have tried everything from half a dollar LDRs to vtl5c2 and in between. I expected a lot from a certain Silonex model that raulduke recommended that has a 20M dark res but whatever I tried didn't sound amywhere near the demos. It is so frustrating and slowly heading to my box of fail I'm afraid...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

mcallisterra

Hmm maybe it's not as simple as just sticking in a new LDR then. Mine is definitely noticeable when it's on, and I was only looking for a subtle warble anyway, but it would be nice to get a bit more out of it.

I measured the LDR in there and it only gets to about 1.2M fully dark. The doc called for 20M so I have to think it would get a bit more pronounced with a different one or a vactrol.

jubal81

I found the cheap Tayda LDR actually works really well in it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

that enclosure is amazing.  Just awesome dude, love it 8)

Hogharry

Looks great!
Quote from: mcallisterra on April 05, 2015, 03:00:41 PM
Hmm maybe it's not as simple as just sticking in a new LDR then. Mine is definitely noticeable when it's on, and I was only looking for a subtle warble anyway, but it would be nice to get a bit more out of it.

I measured the LDR in there and it only gets to about 1.2M fully dark. The doc called for 20M so I have to think it would get a bit more pronounced with a different one or a vactrol.
I used the Tagboard layout and mine sounds pretty good to me. I certainly didn't use anything special, just a cheap eBay LDR and (I think) a standard 5mm red LED with the top bent towards the LDR. I will try to measure the LDR when I get a chance and report back.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

mcallisterra

Quote from: Hogharry on April 05, 2015, 11:01:22 PM
Looks great!
Quote from: mcallisterra on April 05, 2015, 03:00:41 PM

I used the Tagboard layout and mine sounds pretty good to me. I certainly didn't use anything special, just a cheap eBay LDR and (I think) a standard 5mm red LED with the top bent towards the LDR. I will try to measure the LDR when I get a chance and report back.
Thanks!

Yea I have them pointed at each other as well but I used a yellow diffused 5mm LED. It was just a RadioShack LDR but I picked the one with the highest dark resistance of the lot.