News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fender Tone Box suggestions please

Started by JoeDorcia, April 05, 2015, 06:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeDorcia

I'm planning a multi build that will give me some tone shaping ability, not so much interested in drive/gain, but to give some colour to my tone. The clean channel on the Laney IRT-Studio I play is a good base for effects but also fairly lifeless. My plan is a multi that switches between an ROG English Channel and some kind of fender tone. I was looking at the Lovepedal Les Luis clones, Wampler Tweed 57 and Black 65. The latter two look more gain based and emulate the cranked amps they reference. Any good ideas for me to consider would be greatly appreciated!
Making noise since 2001... If only I knew what I was doing

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

playpunk

Flabulanche?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

micromegas

Black 65 sounds good. I've heard a lot of good things of the ROG Azabache too.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jubal81

Black '65 is indeed excellent. Great clean sound and you always have the extra gain stage on a switch.
I run mine at 15volts and biased for that value. It's great.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

JoeDorcia

Thanks for the suggestions, Black 65 looks like a winner. I like the idea of running it at a higher voltage, I'll whack a charge pump in and bias it as you say. Best get designing!

Instagram.com/Twitter - @JoeDorcia pictures and pretentious ramblings about my son, coffee, food, pedals and guitars...

JoeDorcia

Quote from: jubal81 on April 05, 2015, 12:02:00 PM
Black '65 is indeed excellent. Great clean sound and you always have the extra gain stage on a switch.
just been reading more on Tagboards about biasing the FETs, when running at 15v do you get more headroom and, as I haven't done it before, what drain value would you be aiming for when running at 15v? Or is this still the 4.25-5v?

jimilee

Quote from: JoeDorcia on April 05, 2015, 03:45:04 PM
Quote from: jubal81 on April 05, 2015, 12:02:00 PM
just been reading more on Tagboards about biasing the FETs, when running at 15v do you get more headroom and, as I haven't done it before, what drain value would you be aiming for when running at 15v? Or is this still the 4.25-5v?
The flabulanche is 2/3 of the output of the charge pump, I'd do that here also, then play around with it. I biased a prof tweed kind of high and it wasn't quite as distorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.