News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom Enclosure Services???

Started by PhiloB, April 06, 2015, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Can any of you recommend a company that will make custom shaped aluminum enclosures from CAD renderings?
I've done some initial 'googling' but with no context in this area it'd be a crap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhiloB

Bump

selfdestroyer

http://www.protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/machined.php

We have used them here at work for some electrical panels. Might be worth looking into.

Cody

PhiloB

Cool, thanks Cody.  That was one of the ones that popped up in the Google search.  Glad to hear someone chime in with first hand experience. 

sturgeo

What style, machined, cast, stamped and folded? I looked at milling some billet enclosures up but decided against it due to the cost of the raw material and "wastage". They shouldn't require too much CAM work so programming won't be too pricey.

PhiloB

Guy I'm building for wants to do a run of pedals with a 'unique shape'.  He asked me to get some preliminary info together.  It's hard to gather info about things for which you have very little specifics;)

pickdropper

I'm guessing that a machined enclosure will add significant cost to a run of pedals.  Even in higher volumes it takes a lot of material and machine time.  Obviously it's possible as Suhr does it, but I believe they do it in house.

Phil, I would press for details.  Projects where a customer only vaguely knows what they want can go downhill pretty fast, especially if it ends up costing more than originally quoted.  I'd try and lock down as much as possible and frame the cost estimates within the context of those details.  That way, you can keep the quote in context later on if the project creeps.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

That sounds like good advice Pickdropper.