News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New diy community on facebook

Started by micromegas, April 15, 2015, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

First of all: I LOVE this forum. I've grown as diyer here and feel at home (that has not happened to me in any other forum in the hole internet).

That said, I think it is cool to support new  initiatives if they could help the community and our knowledge to expand.

Gabriel Tudoran (Analog Sound/Riot Devices) also known for the creation of the tube GTFO od and other guy called  Michael Fotakis (I haven't met him) have started a group on facebook called "Open Source Equipment" and are working on a webpage.
The thing just started and this is what Gabriel said about it:
Ok... so i'm back from a small holiday. A small announce for whom is interested. Had an idea sometime ago ... of an open-source community that is going to develop, guess what? Well open-source equipment (from audio to... don't know, sky is the limit) - all project will be and will remain in public domain.
The scope of this is sharing knowledge / learning from each-other and develop ideas.
The name of this project is OSEQ - Open Source Equipment and you can find us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensource.equipment/ and later, you can find us on: http://www.oseq.org
The main word on this project will be: SHARE and COLLABORATE... so i invite you all to do that Emoticono smile
Keep close and see you all later.

I joined the group and would keep an eye open, it might be interesting. (Athough I can't vouch for it yet).

I have no afiliation whatsoever.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

chromesphere

I was thinking of this sort of idea except on the forum.  "lets build an overdrive".  Start with a basic idea of what type and people can contribute as it builds up.  The final product is a DIY, anyone can use for whatever purpose they like, effect.  Sounds like a good idea, would it work?  Im not sure.   I guess this is kind of the same thing that happens on diystompboxes, someone comes up with a circuit then it gets manipulated to within an inch of its life.  But with that sort of arrangement, usually someone designs a pcb off the schematic and sells the pcb's, sometimes there's an etchable version as well.
Anyway just thinking out loud, cool idea though!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

micromegas

Quote from: chromesphere on April 15, 2015, 03:44:05 PM
I was thinking of this sort of idea except on the forum.  "lets build an overdrive".  Start with a basic idea of what type and people can contribute as it builds up.  The final product is a DIY, anyone can use for whatever purpose they like, effect.  Sounds like a good idea, would it work?  Im not sure.   I guess this is kind of the same thing that happens on diystompboxes, someone comes up with a circuit then it gets manipulated to within an inch of its life.  But with that sort of arrangement, usually someone designs a pcb off the schematic and sells the pcb's, sometimes there's an etchable version as well.
Anyway just thinking out loud, cool idea though!
Paul
I loveyour idea about "group designing".  I think that already happens between the crew of some of the developers in this forum, but a whole new "big" community project could be nice too. It doesn't need too complicated, but it would be nice to stablish some rules.
For example.
Boring rules:
* release the project/schematic with a creative commons license to protect it from big manufacturers but still let people use it (like madbean's clause but people should need to give credit too)
* design a pcb and share it on oshpark so it's available to everyone but also an etchable artwork
* use only widely available components (no eclectic ones)

Fun rules:
* not using a tubescreamer as a base :P
* use original designs/ideas

It could be fun to give some ideas to work on and then vote on the proposals so the one that gets more votes is the one that gets implemented.
It also could be well documented as an example of how to do a great design, from schematic to layout to build.

The way I see it everyone could participate/take some advantage of it and also spend a good time. It could be also an oportunity for those with less experience to learn good things and to encourage them to try new ideas.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

pryde

I like this idea for here as well. One of the challenges would/might be over-saturation of input and ideas on a particular project getting "paralysis by analysis" syndrome.

A good structured set of rules for development might be a good idea although I would be more of a sideline cheerleader to be honest  ;D

drolo

Looks like a cool initiative. I just joined the group to check it out. Still wondering how things can get structured so that it does not end up in a big bowl of chaos :-)

DexterGT

First of all a big "Thank you!" to micromegas for this post.
My real name is Gabriel and indeed i'm the "father" of the GTFO project (and some other). The general idea of this group and site/forum is to build projects together and make the best of them. And i'm not talking only stomp boxes / amps / preamps ect. i'm talking about equipment in general: some can paint... some can work with metal... some are writing good piece of code.
And when a project will be mature and will be ready to go in wild ... it will be posted on the site so everybody can use it.
Also i was thinking on having a small store where users (community) can sell  different parts / modules / ect so they can sustain the projects that they are working on.
I d think also that would be a very nice platform for students to put in practice what they have learned in school.
I would be more then happy to answer any questions that you might have and solve problems together. I don't know  it all  but ... i do think that a community of  builders would be nice.
Regards,
Gabriel

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".