News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

POLL: How about SMD?

Started by jubal81, May 02, 2015, 11:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you build an effect if it required a few parts only available in SMD package?

Sure, I'll give it a go. No problem
I've never done SMD, but I'm willing to try
No way. I'm not comfortable soldering those
No way. I can solder them, but it's more trouble than it's worth
Maybe. It depends. I dunno. Whatever.

Leevibe

I'm game. It's going to become unavoidable at some point anyway. The FV-1 could be my gateway drug.

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on May 03, 2015, 10:57:41 AM
I wouldn't be averse to doing a few SMD parts. As long as they are being included with the PCB being sold.

And people keep on throwing the name Mouser around as if that is the solution to the problem, but I'm from Europe so ordering anything from Mouser is just simply not done.

Including the parts would start to get expensive. Not from parts cost but from labor. The resistors all have their values printed on them, but the non-polarized caps don't. So each value would have to be individually bagged and tagged. If it were me, I'd charge a big premium for that kind of a time-suck.

If you want to source parts in Europe, check out Farnell. Pretty much the same selection as Mouser but based in Europe.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Muadzin

Quote from: culturejam on May 03, 2015, 01:41:00 PMIncluding the parts would start to get expensive. Not from parts cost but from labor. The resistors all have their values printed on them, but the non-polarized caps don't. So each value would have to be individually bagged and tagged. If it were me, I'd charge a big premium for that kind of a time-suck.

Understandable. Still, if its just the odd transistor or IC I'd be willing to pay for it.

QuoteIf you want to source parts in Europe, check out Farnell. Pretty much the same selection as Mouser but based in Europe.

I just checked them out. Unfortunately they don't seem to be doing paypal. Credit cards and business accounts mostly. And I don't have neither. So again utterly useless for me.  :(

chromesphere

Quote from: madbean on May 03, 2015, 09:31:28 AM
Sounds good. I will convert the Dirtbag to SMD today.

If that was sarcasm it was on an epic scale.

I dont think throughhole is going anywhere any time soon.  Things are getting a bit more difficult, but you know...you can still get germanium transistors on ebay for 30c each and they stopped making them in the 80's.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

wgc

I don't know what it is but one thing to watch out for is these smd guys are always such a bunch of wise-asses...

;)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

alanp

Quote from: wgc on May 05, 2015, 06:17:23 AM
I don't know what it is but one thing to watch out for is these smd guys are always such a bunch of wise-asses...

My sister thinks I need a new catch-phrase ("I'm just a meatworker, and *I* can do this stuff...")
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Quote from: Muadzin on May 03, 2015, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: culturejam on May 03, 2015, 01:41:00 PM
QuoteIf you want to source parts in Europe, check out Farnell. Pretty much the same selection as Mouser but based in Europe.
I just checked them out. Unfortunately they don't seem to be doing paypal. Credit cards and business accounts mostly. And I don't have neither. So again utterly useless for me.  :(
Sorry dude but this isn't true... they accept debit cards, and allow personal (non-business) accounts. I'm in the UK and I use them both all the time.

No PayPal but who cares when setting up an account is so easy?

Try em'... you might like em'  ;)

jubal81

Sent this off to be fabbed last night just for giggles. It's a boost using a 5-pin dual JFET (SMD) with a Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control and fatness control (source cap blend).

It's a JFET with no TH equivalent - designed for ultra low noise audio applications. Common source and I put them in parallel.

Also tossed on a power brick to run it at 24V. Should be a fun one to experiment with.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

tcpoint

I don't mind smd.  It took me awhile to get good at it.  I was a slow learner but I've done 28 SSOP ICs successfully and don't have any problem with SSOPs any more.  If I can learn it, anybody can.  One thing nice about smd is that you don't have to turn the pcb over all the time.  Good tweezers and good magnification are necessary, though.  Also, you need a flux pen.

cooder

Quote from: jubal81 on May 05, 2015, 02:59:29 PM
Sent this off to be fabbed last night just for giggles. It's a boost using a 5-pin dual JFET (SMD) with a Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control and fatness control (source cap blend).

It's a JFET with no TH equivalent - designed for ultra low noise audio applications. Common source and I put them in parallel.

Also tossed on a power brick to run it at 24V. Should be a fun one to experiment with.

Looking sweet will be interesting to hear what you've gotta say about this...
... and I wouldn't mind building one for a second opinion ;)
BigNoise Amplification