News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rage Quit! an unfortunate tale

Started by flanagan0718, April 06, 2015, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So there I was 2 pot rewires away from having an uproar done. The pots were woking in reverse. Ok simple fix, or so I thought. I rewired the 2 pots and nothing, no sound. Hmm, one has to be grounding out or shorting out or something. Now let's test and see what's going on. Nothing obvious, lets de-solder the pots, again, and rewire after testing and closely looking at the board.
    My patience level is now dropping and my frusteration level is starting to peak. I get the pots wired back and now i'm getting spattery fuzz like tones. No volume change and aweful tone with garbage fx. GRRR! try wiring the pots back the "wrong" way again. More spattery fuzz and garbage fx. Dear Uproar board I would like you to meet your impending DOOM! I get so angry with the build I end up ripping it off my testing rig and throwing it against the cement wall as hard as I possibly can...
    Needless to say I am starting over again tonight. This isn't my favorite experience but it's been eye opening. Before I had a baby I used to just breeze through builds and fix mistakes before boxing. Or, sometimes even have to un-box them because I forgot to fix them. Attention to detail is key especially if you don't want to waste time or have time to waste. Oh well, lesson learned.

chromesphere

Difficult to focus on detail when you have a little one at your ankles hah? :) Hey, we wouldn't replace them for anything.

I hate those builds.  Everything seems to be going along smoothly, then all of a sudden the wheels start falling off, like a car crash in slow motion or some sort of government mental assessment test. Honestly throwing it at the wall and starting again may have been the best move.  You may have spent many hours trying to fix a random, intermittent problem...to inevitably throw it at the wall.. :)
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

flanagan0718

Quote from: chromesphere on April 06, 2015, 07:34:29 PM
Difficult to focus on detail when you have a little one at your ankles hah? :) Hey, we wouldn't replace them for anything.

I hate those builds.  Everything seems to be going along smoothly, then all of a sudden the wheels start falling off, like a car crash in slow motion or some sort of government mental assessment test. Honestly throwing it at the wall and starting again may have been the best move.  You may have spent many hours trying to fix a random, intermittent problem...to inevitably throw it at the wall.. :)

Yep, I remember watching your video a while back about knowing when to call it quits. I thought about finding the board and taking some parts off it but I might just leave it in the corner of the room to collect dust for a while.

jimilee

I tend to melt stuff down ultimately without intending to. That's when I usually see the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

blearyeyes

You should find the board it will probably work fine now that you bounced off a brick wall.

As the father of three grown kids, (still living with me, single dad syndrome) I firmly believe that the way children grow is by slowly sucking the life out of their parents.

But they replace it with love...

chromesphere

Quote from: blearyeyes on April 07, 2015, 06:39:03 PM
I firmly believe that the way children grow is by slowly sucking the life out of their parents.

Man that is the funniest thing I have read all week lol
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

flanagan0718

TNblueshawk

There was a dude over at BYOC 4 or so years ago who was in the same shape and took it one step further and lit his on fire along with the enclosure.

See, you didn't lose it too bad  :P
John

flanagan0718

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 08, 2015, 08:44:27 AM
There was a dude over at BYOC 4 or so years ago who was in the same shape and took it one step further and lit his on fire along with the enclosure.

See, you didn't lose it too bad  :P

Thanks this makes me feel a bit better.

haveyouseenhim

I try not to rage quit. 

Because tannerite is expensive.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms