News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alexander Pedals Amnesia Delay

Started by selfdestroyer, April 09, 2015, 10:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

QuoteThe Amnesia pedal brings back the warm and murky sounds of vintage analog delay units.  Each mode of the Amnesia is carefully tweaked by our sonic scientists to provide the tone and response of a specific vintage bucket brigade device (BBD.)

The switch on the thing is what made it pop out for me.

MN3005
SAD4096
MN3208

I wonder what chip they are using to emulate the different modes.

Not to bad priced either.

Cody

Govmnt_Lacky

Smells like hype to me...

Really? How many people out there know the differences between... HELL.... even know what those switch settings mean?

selfdestroyer

To quote them.

From their info it breaks down like this:

Mode Toggle:

MN3208 - mimics a 2048-stage bucket brigade with excellent fidelity.  Warm repeats and mild "bucket loss," where each of the delay repeats becomes a bit softer and more diffuse.

SAD4096 - based on a rare rack mount delay unit, the SAD4096 mode is designed to work like a special bucket brigade originally manufactured by Reticon.  The SAD4096 has a very distinct tone as the delay clock gets slower, so that long delay times have a pronounced distortion character.  The SAD4096 mode also breaks in to oscillation a bit sooner than the other modes.

MN3208 - the final mode is based on a more recent delay unit with four lower-capacity bucket brigade chips.  As the longer BBD units were phased out of production, effects companies started doubling up shorter delay chips in order to maintain the same delay time.  Doubling up these chips sometimes causes additional losses, which are audible in this mode as a darker echo tone.  Use the MN3208 mode if you want soft and murky repeats, ideal for ambient pads and washes.

Muadzin

Would I be that far off to think its another PT2399 delay, voiced to sound like those chips? Akin to the Dirt Baby?

TGP39

I'm thinking it's a digital delay. FV-1?

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

midwayfair

rullywowr

PT2399...now with three position treble roll off filter?

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Scruffie

Works at Lectric-FX

irmcdermott

So... say what you want about it, but I'll stick up for them.

Alexander is run by Matthew Farrow and the guys at Disaster Area Designs (whose midi controllers and programmable bypass loopers are awesome, I own a DMC-6D, a DPC-8EZ, and their SmartClock). Stand up, good people. I have no doubt that their pedals are original designs, as Matthew knows what he's doing under the hood of things.

Plus, they do good. Alexander is named after Matthew's brother, who died of cancer when he was a child. They give back on everything they sell. From their site:

"Alexander Pedals was started for two reasons - to make great tones, and to do good.  The great tones part you probably have some idea about.  As for doing good, Alexander Pedals donates a portion of the profits from every pedal sold to charity.  Matthew's younger brother Alex passed away in 1987 of a form of cancer called neuroblastoma.  Alexander Pedals honors his memory by helping in the fight to end childhood cancer.

If you buy an Alexander Pedals effect on the used market, we'd like to welcome you to the family!  We honor the warranty on secondhand units as if they were new.  We would ask that you consider donating to one of our favorite charities - contact us if you'd like to donate!"

That's all.

jimilee

Amnesia delay....now there's an oxymoron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

playpunk

I'd actually be kinda surprised if this wasn't DSP based.... but who knows.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

irmcdermott

They are DSP.... from their site...

"Are your pedals analog or digital?  Most of our initial offerings (Amnesia, Equilibrium, Radical Delay) are digital, utilizing a 24-bit DSP architecture.  The Litho Boost is fully analog.  Future products may be analog or digital, depending on the effect desired."

And then this is in their FAQ as well:

"Will you make me a clone of (insert pedal name here?)  No.  We don't clone or copy existing designs.  We might build something that works in a similar manner to an existing product (the Amnesia is a great example) but you can rest assured that all of our hardware and DSP designs are 100% original.  We don't make Tube Screamers, because Ibanez already makes several great ones."

And I believe he's not just blowing smoke there. The guy knows what he's doing.

jubal81

Supposedly, some Strymon delays use digital programming to simulate the individual 'buckets' in analog delay chips. Possible these guys could be doing something similar.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

midwayfair

Quote from: irmcdermott on April 10, 2015, 07:47:32 AM
So... say what you want about it, but I'll stick up for them.

Alexander is run by Matthew Farrow and the guys at Disaster Area Designs (whose midi controllers and programmable bypass loopers are awesome, I own a DMC-6D, a DPC-8EZ, and their SmartClock). Stand up, good people. I have no doubt that their pedals are original designs, as Matthew knows what he's doing under the hood of things.

Plus, they do good. Alexander is named after Matthew's brother, who died of cancer when he was a child. They give back on everything they sell. From their site:

"Alexander Pedals was started for two reasons - to make great tones, and to do good.  The great tones part you probably have some idea about.  As for doing good, Alexander Pedals donates a portion of the profits from every pedal sold to charity.  Matthew's younger brother Alex passed away in 1987 of a form of cancer called neuroblastoma.  Alexander Pedals honors his memory by helping in the fight to end childhood cancer.

If you buy an Alexander Pedals effect on the used market, we'd like to welcome you to the family!  We honor the warranty on secondhand units as if they were new.  We would ask that you consider donating to one of our favorite charities - contact us if you'd like to donate!"

That's all.

This is good to know.

... but the line I quoted still made me chuckle.