Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Musket/Muff Gun

Started by marmora, April 11, 2015, 06:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmora

Hi!
Here's my Muff Gun V1.1 build on Hexjibber's board

Initially I was worried about having a noisy pedal considering the Musket is an LPB-1 into a Big Muff. However, for being what it is, it's incredibly quiet unless I crank the Pre and Gain controls.
I used a 470uf cap across the power supply jack. I also used BC550B transistors for the Muff stages. I think those were a couple tips for a quieter Muff I read at FSB. Though if I was worried about noise that much, I suppose I could have used different caps instead of ceramic nearly throughout.
Right now I'm liking how this sounds. Was playing for a minute and just had to start coping some J Mascis riffs. I put my bass though this and was loving the low and slow waves shaking my internal organs.
Thanks for the PCB. I've always been down with BMPs, but built a couple I never bonded with. This version with all the bells and whistles will stick around.

jimilee

Is that an electrical junction box? Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

marmora

Quote from: jimilee on April 11, 2015, 07:46:13 AM
Is that an electrical junction box? Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I build most of my personal pedals in them.

slimtriggers

That's pretty cool!

I used to build in those, but drilling them is really tough compared to an aluminum enclosure.   The price is hard to beat, though.  They do seem to take powder coat pretty well, too.

AntKnee

Enclosure and the knob color inspired by Home Depot.  ;D
Seriously, though, cool build.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

marmora

Quote from: AntKnee on April 11, 2015, 12:59:06 PM
Enclosure and the knob color inspired by Home Depot.  ;D
Seriously, though, cool build.

LOL! Matching LED of course. Should have spray painted it safety orange.

TGP39

The drill holes are perfectly done. That must have been tough. Truly happy that you love the tones in this one. I need to build mine. Fantastic job.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

marmora

Quote from: TGP39 on April 11, 2015, 04:51:26 PM
The drill holes are perfectly done. That must have been tough. Truly happy that you love the tones in this one. I need to build mine. Fantastic job.

Steve.

Eh, I'm never satisfied with my drilling, but as long as it looks passable, I can move on. A drill press with a little oil makes the lid easier to drill.
Thanks for the comment, can't wait to see yours.

diablochris6

Looks great. I dig the junction box look. Maybe you can install them around the house and be able to plug your guitar in the wall...
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

flanagan0718

As always great build. These junction box builds are very cool. Keep up the good work!

-Mike-

marmora

Quote from: diablochris6 on April 11, 2015, 09:12:05 PM
Looks great. I dig the junction box look. Maybe you can install them around the house and be able to plug your guitar in the wall...

Ha! The house of the future - today!

Quote from: flanagan0718 on April 11, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
As always great build. These junction box builds are very cool. Keep up the good work!

-Mike-

Thanks for the support. Didn't you get one of these PCBs too?

flanagan0718

Quote from: marmora on April 12, 2015, 05:35:56 AM
Quote from: diablochris6 on April 11, 2015, 09:12:05 PM

Ha! The house of the future - today!

Quote from: flanagan0718 on April 11, 2015, 09:15:34 PM

-Mike-

Thanks for the support. Didn't you get one of these PCBs too?

Yeah I have 2 of them. They look like a fun build.

Guybrush

I love my Hexjibber Musket. Sounds great and there are loads of fuzz sounds in it. I've built a number of fuzzes now and it's my favorite of the bunch. Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Hexjibber

Great build dude! Glad you're enjoying the sound of it also, the Musket is still my go to fuzz after building a couple of Muff variants that I wasn't all that fussed about! :)