News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

bass boost in snarkdoodle ??

Started by joshcamp, June 19, 2011, 11:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshcamp

how can i modify the snarkdoodle to add a bass boost ?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Increasing C1 would add more bass to the circuit. You can do it via a "blend pot" that blends between two cap values or a toggle switch that would either add another cap in parallel or switch between two values.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

stecykmi

i would try increasing C3 as well, try 0.068uF to match C1.

joshcamp

thanks !  I will try both of these suggestions.

poppyman

Hello everyone (my first post here).

How did the cap mod go? I was thinking of being able to switch from the standard value to a "bassier" value with a toggle switch : would  it work better C1?

I ordered some snarkdoodle PCB to try and mod them a bit and tweaking them for bass would be great.

I was also thinking of replacing the toggle switch by a footswitch. All the SPDT footswitches I saw looked like they were just ON/OFF switch and not ON/ON ones. Would it work with a classic 3PDT footsw, using the lugs 1 , 2, 3?

thank in advance

joshcamp

I apologize - i haven't tried it yet.  i've been meaning to but sometimes other things get in the way..  the pedal is fantastic as it is .  i use it as my main distortion type effect.  on its own, it has probably the right amount of bass, my request to increase bass was simply to see how far it could go, bass-wise.

try it first as is and see if it suits your needs.

bobertperry

Sorry, I'm not sure if I should start my own thread or not but...

I want to try using a snarkdoodle for bass.  I know C1 and C3 where mentioned for adding more bass to a guitar but should I do the same thing for bass guitar?  The reason I'm unsure is because I've seen other schematics that change the last capacitor from roughly 10uf to 200uf when used for bass.  Should I do that instead/as well?

stecykmi

Quote from: bobertperry on December 18, 2011, 06:59:13 PM
Sorry, I'm not sure if I should start my own thread or not but...

I want to try using a snarkdoodle for bass.  I know C1 and C3 where mentioned for adding more bass to a guitar but should I do the same thing for bass guitar?  The reason I'm unsure is because I've seen other schematics that change the last capacitor from roughly 10uf to 200uf when used for bass.  Should I do that instead/as well?

You might try increasing the .068uf caps (C1 and C3) somewhat, probably at least .1uf. Just for reference, the sabertooth/wooly mammoth uses .22uf, which is another bass fuzz circuit (although in a completely different type of circuit).

If you want to cut the high end off the circuit a little more, you can increase C2 and C4, but it sort of depends on what sort bass tone you're looking for. In general, as you decrease C2 and C4, the more "square wave" your tone will be and increasing C2 and C4 will make it more "sine wave" like. C2 is more critical than C4 since it deals with the tone control, but C4 is important since it basically sets the highest frequency that the circuit can pass through.

On another note, I have no idea how one might calculate the cutoff frequency of that type of amplifier since I have no idea how to model an inverter as an analog gain stage, haha. Kind of interesting since this type of circuit favors the tinkerer over the tailor, if you get my analogy.

bobertperry

Looks like the board shipped today!  I bought two so I'll probably just end up using sockets for most of the the caps on the first board for testing, at least its a simple circuit.

Side note: had to go to radio shack last night because I was short a dpdt switch.  The cashier kept asking me to buy batteries, the first few times I politely said no thank you but he kept going.  I ending up having to swear at the cashier to get him to stop.  Then he tried to tell me if he doesn't do it he will get in trouble because the cameras can read lips.  I asked my wife to shoot me if I am tempted to go back there...