News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Retrograde with Pre-Gain

Started by Haberdasher, June 19, 2011, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Here is the octavia pedal in a second hand enclosure mjcyates gave me (thanks dude!).  I used the second place for a stomp switch to put a push button to turn on the octave.  I'll replace this with something a bit more sturdy later on.

I left the sides half sanded.  It had a beat up charcoal hammertone over some kind of gold color, so it looked kind of neat that way, I thought.  The top is painted Krylon Ivory Gloss and covered with polycrylic.  The design is just some photoshop silliness that I spent a little too much time on.  The real challenge was trying to match up the knob and switch labels with the holes that were already there.

The octave is cool, but the fuzz is the main attraction here, IMHO.  This is a great fuzz, and the pregain knob really makes it versatile.  You can dial this thing down so far that it sounds like a light overdrive.  I really, really like this pedal- and this is a great project- so thank you madbean.

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

night-B

Great build dude! your decal is really cool ;)

cjkbug

I agree, it works with the rough sanded sides...great look.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job! The decal does look very cool! I'm glad you got your pre-gain knob working. What was going on with it?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Haberdasher

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!  This was my first time using graphics and I thought it came out pretty well.  The half sanded sides was something that just came to me in the middle of everything and I'm glad it worked.  They say necessity is the mother of invention, but I think laziness also plays a small role on occasion.

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on June 19, 2011, 11:07:41 AM
Great job! The decal does look very cool! I'm glad you got your pre-gain knob working. What was going on with it?
Heh, to be honest I'm not really sure. It was probably something grounding out on the case since I couldn't find anything wired incorrectly.  I basically ripped everything out and rewired it the exact same way.  For whatever reason, that fixed it.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

redbean

es là-bas!!

nzCdog

Ah that enclosure is sublime!!!  I love retro, that is a very cool graphics job 8)

mjcyates

Looks great! Glad you were able to put the enclosure to use.

Haberdasher

Thanks again, everyone.  Next up, I've got to try to make my wiring a little more attractive on the next build.  That's something I haven't quite mastered.  To be fair though, it looked a little better the first time before I unsoldered everything and re-wired.

I'm thinking about getting some of the tef coated silver plated wire from ebay.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

k.rock!

Great work Haberdasher!! It looks awesome inside and out! You did a great job man :)

The retro look on it is great, love the graphics and the sanded sides. Super!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

I wanna add that I really like the octave footswitch. It matches the look of the pedal and now that I look at it more the color scheme is soo 70's. With the matching brown knobs! And your wiring looks great dude! I wouldn't worry about it.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals