News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar strap locks - warning - very expensive idea

Started by lars, April 15, 2015, 07:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I didn't want to use any of the strap lock systems that I've seen, mostly because they do require some modification (bigger/longer screws), and a lot of them are useless as regular strap holders if you loose the locking part or forget the strap that is setup for the system.
So, I was looking at this from a bag of potatoes, and wondered, does that work?

It does ;D. Locks the strap in there without having to modify your guitar or strap in any way.
This idea is pretty costly though... .00 cents!

GermanCdn

Just don't try any epic rockstar guitar swings with those. ::)

In all honesty though, I think good strap locks are one of the best investments you can make.  I swear by the Schaller ones (the real ones, not the cheapo knock offs on ebay).  And they are really not that expensive once you've got one set on a strap, as you can pick up the buttons for ~ $3 a set, so you can put the buttons on your guitars and still only need a few of the strap units.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Scruffie

There's always the classic grolsch (or other beer) bottle rubber ring.

Just as cheap and you get to drink 2 beers at the same time ;D
Works at Lectric-FX

pricklyrobot

I've used these things: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/lm-products-surelock-nylon-guitar-strap for years. They're cheap (they were only $10 the last time I bought one), keep your guitar from falling on the ground, and also don't require any mods.

selfdestroyer

grolsch all the way here with my couch straps.

Cody

29palms

I can recommend the Grolsch  method too, only problem is I had to keep buying more guitars so I had an excuse to drink more beers... ;)

micromegas

+1 for the Grolsch. Although you can try the Hirschbräu Doppel-Hirsch (pic below these lines). German engineering at its best, a little more expensive but tastier.  ;D

Dr. No effects also makes a nice-fancier-über-expensive strap lock in leather, but the red rubber circle is magic.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

TGP39

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 15, 2015, 08:19:52 PM
grolsch all the way here with my couch straps.

Cody

Hey Cody, the last Couch Strap I purchased left a residue on my Gibson SG. This ever happen to you?  I had to polish my guitar for like 3 days to get it off.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

davent

The one Couch strap i have is such a struggle to get on the button i don't see a need to do anything further to keep it there. The cheapie Monkeymans on everything else gets a hefty hardware store washer,  guitar value appropriate .
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

lars

Quote from: Scruffie on April 15, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
There's always the classic grolsch (or other beer) bottle rubber ring.

Just as cheap and you get to drink 2 beers at the same time ;D
Now I feel stupid. :o I thought that when someone referred to grolsch strap locks, that was an actual strap lock company! So it's basically a rubber fender washer. A trip to the hardware store would probably work as well, although your way of obtaining them sounds better!

jimilee

There is a  planet waves strap that has a clamp of sorts that goes on to yhe existing strap Britons, it works well...I have too any guitars, im not sure which one its on or which bedroom it's in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

I've bolted my bass strap on with a steel washer.  It's not going anywhere.

bcalla

I have these on a few of my guitars.  They're actually pretty good.  They can break over time but at $4 per pair, who cares?  Keep a few sets in your case.

lars

Quote from: bcalla on April 15, 2015, 11:16:02 PM
I have these on a few of my guitars.  They're actually pretty good.  They can break over time but at $4 per pair, who cares?  Keep a few sets in your case.
Those look like a great option. I decided to take a trip to the hardware store and do the "grolsch" rubber washer idea. I was able to get some thick rubber fender washers that lock in really well. At .60 a piece, they're not as cheap as the bread bag clip idea, but a lot more durable.

GrindCustoms

Most of my guitars have Schaller strap locks, that i really like and can interchange straps.. and will also work with strapt that don't have the lockers on them.

I wanted some for the SG.. but the Schaller have the whole locking setup external and would have poked me in the belly or hips wich is not so comfortable... so earlier today i ordered a set of Dunlop Flush mount locks... really digging the design of those... was making a while i wanted to use some but did'nt really had any guitar that where really requiring them.

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/