News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Guitar strap locks - warning - very expensive idea

Started by lars, April 15, 2015, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muadzin

At the youth center where I used to work the volunteers liked to drink Grolsch after work, so I managed to collect quite a few rubber washers for my guitars. Haven't had one of those come off by accident. The downside was that they're  just as hard to pop off as they are to put on, which wasn't that handy when you had to put the guitars back into the bag/case. So I got into the habit of not taking the straps off. For my new guitars however, with all those custom paint jobs, I'm using strap locks again.

raulduke

I use these:

They are cheap enough and work great for me, although I don't do any Hives-esque guitar swing maneuvers (skip to 2.55 min)  ;D

Muadzin

Quote from: raulduke on April 16, 2015, 03:27:17 AMThey are cheap enough and work great for me, although I don't do any Hives-esque guitar swing maneuvers (skip to 2.55 min)  ;D

Nice! Let's bring on the guitar toss fail!

Methinks not even locking strap locks can prevent the chance of guitar toss fail though. I don't think they're meant to withstand the force and weight of a guitar being tossed around, in which case a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

mrclean77

Nice.

The cost of a set of Schallers, IMO, is well worth the piece of mind that comes with it. I am typically not pulling cock-rock moves in the bedroom whilst performing for my 7yo daughter, stuffed animals and the family dog, so I'm good there.

The RG has DiMarzio lockers on it for two reasons: 1) the strap is very comfortable & 2) I believe it may be illegal to put anything BUT the DiMarzios on an RG 8)

Betty Wont

I bought one Kepur strap 10 years ago and It still the only one I use for all my guitars. I does not come out of the buttonhole, period. I've worn it for thousands of hours and disconnected the strap hundreds of times and the strap and buttonhole material is still virginal. I think the Kepur is the least complicated strap security available.

irmcdermott

I use these straps on all of my solid bodies. Love them. They don't go super low, so if you where your guitar at your knees, then it's not the right strap for you.

rumbletone

I've used washers (rubber and metal), bread bag closers, etc., and still find that strap locks are the best solution. I've never had one fall off or break, and it is quicker to remove the strap than any other method I've used. It's a small cost compared to the value of my guitars. And now that I have them on all/most of my guitars, I can swap straps easily.

Willybomb

I had a chinese dimarzio straplock copy fail during a gig.  Unfortunately my actual dimarzio straplock clip on the spare guitar didnt fit it so it spent the rest of the night directly screwed into the guitar.

Never had a dimarzio break though.

GermanCdn

Quote from: Willybomb on April 19, 2015, 07:11:53 AM
I had a chinese dimarzio straplock copy fail during a gig.  Unfortunately my actual dimarzio straplock clip on the spare guitar didnt fit it so it spent the rest of the night directly screwed into the guitar.

Never had a dimarzio break though.

I've had the knockoff Schallers fail as well, hence my comment on real Schallers.  And same thing on the strap buttons, real Schaller locks typically don't fit on Chinese copies.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.