News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorites

Started by junkemail86, April 16, 2015, 07:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkemail86

I'm sure this has been covered in some capacity, but anyway...
List your favorite things, can be anything!

Guitar: 80's Ibanez RG550's
Amp: Marshall DSL401 (don't judge)
Pickup: Dimarzio (PAF Pro)
Strap: Ernie Ball
Strap locks: Schaller
Cable: Mogami
Distortion: BSIAB/Wampler Pinnacle

juansolo

In guitar terms, my favourite stuff is the stuff I have. I don't have the space to have tonnes of stuff any more so it's narrowed down just to favourites now.

Other stuff however...

My old blue Westfield - I should never have sold it :(
My brother's Mk1 MX-5 - Best road sports car ever (for where I live).

It's weird how your perspectives change when you break down what you actually enjoy about something. The MX-5 doesn't have the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, but whenever I've driven it, I've adored it. You have to absolutely wring it's neck then maintain as much speed/momentum as you can through corners. Because it's on 14" 185 tyres that takes more effort than you'd think. To help you is a magnificently balanced chassis, some of the best steering feel and control weights ever devised and a very light nimble little car. It's bliss.

Last time I did it, I was feeling a bit guilty, then I looked down and I was barely achieving the speed limit. I just thought to myself, if I drove like this in the Porsche I'd be terrified of losing my license. That's when something clicked and I realised that modern cars are too fast, too heavy and too grippy to actually have any fun with on a public road. Fine on track, but there are better things to run on track.

The old blue Westie was nigh on perfect. If I'd kept it I'd have sorted the one thing wrong with it (could have done with a new gearbox). But otherwise it was just nailed on as a road/occasional track Caterfield. Staggeringly well made and brilliant.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Cortexturizer

juan those look incredible!!!!

okay me

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard
Amp: Marshall JMP
Pickup: ugh, this one is hard, either the widerange humbucker (the proper versions, not the crappy nowaday versions) or the SG standard pickups, 498T and 490R, actually prefer them to any other buckers
Strap: Ernie Ball
Strap locks: Marvel
Cable: Fender white coily cable (I know...but yeah)
Distortion: I don't like distortion pedals, but let's say it's the Triple Wreck. The Sunking is what I like best in the dirt world
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

davent

Anything... in no particular order
ipod
dark chocolate
dark roasted coffee
raspberry/rhubarb pie made with our backyard grown fruit- incredible
playing hockey, not watching it... but that goes for just about everything
solitude/quiet
moving/travelling/exploring self propelled
successfully bringing an idea to fruition
cooking and sharing a great meal with friends
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

GermanCdn

Guitar (this week) - Charvel SoCal with Dimarzio Gravity Storms (been on a bit of a Floyd tangent as of late)
Amp (most are still in storage) - MB Transatlantic
Pickup - SD TB-16 59/Custom Hybrid
Strap - PRS Leather strap
Locks - Schaller
Cable - Homemade with Sommier XXL cable and Amphenol plugs
Dist/OD - Rej's GOAT/Chimaera two in one.  Sounds phenomenal stacked on a strat.
Delay - SD Vapour Trails Delay
Comp - Fatcomp, a Fatpants/Afterlife combo
Trem - Schaller Trem (poodleparts version).  Can't explain why, just is.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

alanp

Favourites... hmmm.

Books? Read too many to say. Too many great authors there (although Sir Pterry is first among equals.)

Guitar... my tricone for acoustic (LOUD, and a distinct voice of it's own), and the Vintage LP-100 for electric.

Amp... Low Power Tweed Twin. Mmmmm.

I think you can guess for noisemaker ;)

Game, world of warcraft hands down. If anyone wants, I'll see how long my /played is later.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Life's too long for favorites. Here are some things I like.

juansolo

HKimball

Guitar: telecaster
Amp: hiwatt dr103 (never played one though... Just love the sounds Pete Townsend and David Gilmour got through them)
Pickup: Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue
Car: Honda s2000
Food: smoked ribs (6+ hours at least)
Pedal: fatpants
Book: brave New world (I know it's cliche but between this and breakfast of champions I just couldn't choose)

GrindCustoms

Hmmmmm....

Guitar:.... i like equally all those that i currently own, main reason why i own them.
Amp: Mesa MarkIV Combo
Pickups: Suhr Aldrich Humbuckers... phenomenal pickups for the price.
Straps: Levy's 2.5inch nylon, very comfy, nice pattern on them... and mostly.. plenty of lenght!
Cables: Lava Retro/Morph Coily cable, EvidenceAudio Reveal for everything else.
Picks: Dunlop Tortex 2mm purple, the mother of all right hand conviction since 2001! lol
OD: Klone and TS.. whatever the TS is, i like it.
Comp: LoveSqueeze and EBS MultiComp
Filters: ...i see those like womans... too many awesome ones out there, can't settle definitly on one.
Fuzz: UltraStoner/TSM680, FFX ClusterFuzz, FuzzFactory.
Effect of Madness: Machette (UglyFace w/LFO)
Chorus: Ibanez CS9
Flanger: Ross
Trem: Not created yet...
Phaser: Maestro PSA1, Musitronics PhasorII
Delay: Ibanez AD9, Maxon AD999
Reverb: RaDD, Tenebrion

Other things that i like...
BBQ, if it can be grilled, it's got to be awesome
My Zombie Apocalypse Wagon
The green behavorial modifying device
Welding and working metal in general... just so much fun and Metulz! lml
Watching and playing Hockey, it's playoffs babeh!!!
Hanging with good friends
Staying up for too many hours chatting with the bros in the GCFX crew.... could'nt live without those guys now.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Willybomb

Hmm.  When it comes to gear I don't really have the money to say "I've tried all this stuff and these are my favorites".  My favorites are pretty much just what I've got.  Having said that though, I love the following after having tried a number of bits and pieces:

Guitar:  My custom Agile.  Playing this is like coming home.  I lucked out with the neck profile I chose (uniform "speed" profile) and they nailed everything else I requested.  It came with a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck (accidentally! I specced generic alnico 5 humbuckers), and I've since replaced the JB with my

Favorite pickup:  Dimarzio ToneZone.  I have this in a couple of guitars now, and I just love the sustain and thickness on the higher strings.

Favorite dirt:  Blackstar HT-Dual.  Slightly inconvenient to use due to the 16vAC wall wart but it's just an awesome pedal and the cab sim is near flawless imo.

Favorite pick:  Dunlop fluro green Riffs (.96?  .98?).  Can barely play guitar with anything else...  I use this to hit a set of

Favorite strings, being a set of D'addario XL 9-46.  Chunky for powerchords, light for soloing.

mjcyates

Vallhagen

I use to say that i'm not a "things" guy, a statement i frequently have to take back. A few really important things in my life:

Coffee machine: Isomac Giada
Electric guitar: Current fave is my home-made telecaster. When i have fixed my old strat, that one will be my fave again. Because its yellow.
My HiFi rack. Nothing special / worth mentioning, just good stuff and i like it.
Guitar amplifier: Suhr / Custom Audio Amplifier PT-50. I dont have words enough to say how good this thing is.
Tuner: Polytune stompbox.
Piano: G. Schwechten upright. I paid nothing(!) for it, it is old, beautiful and holds tuning allright.
Measurement device: Fluke 12
Sleeping place: My bed. Love it.
"effect" stompbox: Low Rider, Cardinal
OD / Distortion: Blüe Monster
Tape: blue
Author (because i just cant pick one title... but i CAN pick an author): Peter Hoeg. No idea how many titles from him is translated, but there should be a bunch.
Garment: tie.
Kidding
Car: No serious interest, but i like to have one and i do!

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

juansolo

Ok, some things other than cars...

Reliability - I like that. Especially when it comes to cars ;) Things failing annoys me... This goes for lots of things, including my back.
Modifying/building stuff - Keeps my mind active. I'm never truly happy unless I'm doing something creative. I get bored very quickly doing the same thing over and over.
Films - I blame a weekend job when I was at college at a video store. Made me a film nerd for all the wrong reasons ;) Also, best job ever BTW.
Road Trips - I'm trying not to make it about cars honestly, but I don't dig lying on beaches. I like to explore. My method of exploration just happens to be by car.
Cleaning... - ...cars. This one has a proviso of the weather being just right so I can spend a whole day making it shiny. Because I live in the UK, there are a very small number of days when this happens, but I always feel good with the result when it's done.

Hmmm, this isn't working...

MJW amps, Feline/WezV/Fender guitars, ASL/Mojo pickups. There that's gear taken care of.

Pedals, now this gets complicated:

Delay - Zero Point DD + Analogue filter or DeProfundis, depending on application.
Reverb - The one in my amp, Neunaber WET, original RaD/Tenebrion.
Chorus - CE-2 or Small Clone
Phaser - Maestro PS-1A and StageFright.
Flanger - Electric Mistress
Vocal wah thing - Dipthonizer
Comp - Lovesqueeze
Tremolo - Quadravibe/STMII+Rej mods
Vibrato - TriVibe
Boost - SHO/Fatpants 2013/Baby Boobtube
OD - Kingslayer/Colorsound OverDriver
Distortion - Catalinbread SFT/Inline 8
Fuzz... - Jumbo Tonebender/Ultrastoner/TSM680/BeeBaa/Standard Fuzz/Spitfire/Fuzzrite/HotSilicon/Demo Tape Fuzz/Peach Fuzz/Buzz-a-Like/Greasebox/ROG 22/7

...and Alice 2

juansolo