News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fuzz Transformer (Harmonic Xformer)

Started by wgc, April 16, 2015, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

One more today.

This is a DBA Harmonic Transformer circuit I did an smd layout for as a collaborative effort between myself and Dan Minner.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19594.msg202933#msg202933

I did the pcb layout and soldering, he did the killer graphics and etches.  Great guy to work with, I really enjoyed breaking things up a little from my normal approaches.  Love the collaborative approach he started.

Going to the PO tomorrow, so he should have it next week.  I probably wouldn't have known about the circuit if Dan hadn't suggested it.  Its pretty fun. 

I'm still not really a fuzz guy, but this has some interesting qualitites and a crap load of fuzzy, sustainy goodness.  Gets a little splatty if you turn down the volume at the guitar, which can be cool in small doses.  The switches actually make a big difference too.

Not quite as crazy as a fuzz factory, but probably a bit more musical/practical.

Thanks for looking!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

m-Kresol

really cool. your smd work still amazes me. And of course, the box is killing it
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

micromegas

Good team-work! Love the spacey look it has.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

thomasha

Nice looking unit!
this build is so clean! And the etch too.
Where did you found this kind of led socket?

Luke51411

Wow, great work all around! I know Dan usually prefers to go a size bigger for the box but his design and etch on this 1590A looks fantastic too!

Coda-effects

The etching is super nice! I really like the symbols you used.

bcalla

lincolnic

Lubdar

(--c^.^)--c

studiodunn

wgc

Quote from: thomasha on April 17, 2015, 05:10:13 AM
Nice looking unit!

Thanks again y'all. Can't wait until he gets it.

Don't know where the bezel came from, maybe Dan will chime in.

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 17, 2015, 05:19:25 AM
Wow, great work all around! I know Dan usually prefers to go a size bigger for the box but his design and etch on this 1590A looks fantastic too!

True!  I did a little finger crossing but glad he agreed. Love it
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Dminner

Quote from: wgc on April 17, 2015, 04:03:08 PM
Nice looking unit!

The fresnels were from mouser or Onlinecomponents, I can find the part number later and post it. They are for thicker enclosures, but nothing a tight hole and a little superglue can't fix.

And yeah, this was a stretch for me. I didn't realize how heavily I rely on large pot markers, etc in my designs until I couldn't use them haha. It was a bit out of my comfort zone but I think the next one will be better, I have some ideas brewing ;)

davent

Quote from: Dminner on April 17, 2015, 04:35:01 PM
Quote from: wgc on April 17, 2015, 04:03:08 PM
Nice looking unit!

The fresnels were from mouser or Onlinecomponents, I can find the part number later and post it. They are for thicker enclosures, but nothing a tight hole and a little superglue can't fix.

And yeah, this was a stretch for me. I didn't realize how heavily I rely on large pot markers, etc in my designs until I couldn't use them haha. It was a bit out of my comfort zone but I think the next one will be better, I have some ideas brewing ;)

I've some of those bezels as well as a result of punching in the wrong part number, wanted rounds; Mouser part# 593- 2500A, but better check to make sure.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

nzCdog

really cool... I totally dig the graphics, knob and bezel... deliciously retro
your gut shot is so tidy, it looks like you built it in a 125B!