News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pre-order update

Started by madbean, April 20, 2015, 09:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'm going to keep giving updates so you guys can be informed on where we are at with the upcoming pre-order/mega projects.

The Freekout is completely done. Some of you might know that the Frequency Analyzer used a 40vDC power supply, but we will only need 18vDC. I really love this effect...it's a very musical sounding ring mod.

The Rustbucket is still giving me a bit of a headache. While the circuit itself works properly there are a couple issues I have still yet to resolve, namely that I don't like the way the sensitivity control is behaving (just not very smooth in how it attacks and releases). The second issue is that powering it with the same method as the Freekout seems to introduce some "ringy/harmonic" noise that is not present when I use the first method I tried (18vAC split into +/-15v rails). So, that's something else to be solved. I don't think it is a current supply issue since voltages are rock solid no matter which way I power it.

The Dirtbag is getting its final comparison build to test out the differences between the BL3208 and MN3008. Both versions run at higher voltages but break them down differently depending on the chips used. Finally, I have four of the new, supposedly lower noise v3205 which I will at least try. I don't foresee officially support the v3205 on the DB3 but it's worth knowing if they are viable. I built something into the circuit design to test these out, too.

The Lowrider will be that last thing to sort out. My prototype had a couple of mistakes on it, but I know what they are so if that's the only issue then I expect it to fall right into place.

Anyway, that's what's on my plate before the pre-order goes live, so there you have it.

m-Kresol

thanks for the heads up! It's good to be kept in the loop of what's going on. :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

Quote from: madbean on April 20, 2015, 09:13:10 AM
The Rustbucket is still giving me a bit of a headache.

Brian, I have your solution!

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Alaboogie

Dirtbag!!!!!

The board not you 😂

lincolnic

Thanks for letting us know! I think this kind of post is exactly what people were looking for when we mentioned wanting more transparency at the end of last year; even if the news is "it's not ready yet", it's actually very reassuring to know that the work is being done and to hear about where you're at in the process.

Also, the anticipation only keeps building!

Jules

Thanks for letting us know Brian, I have been checking for the preorders several times a day and it is certainly appreciated being kept in the loop.
The Freekout and Zero point DLX are the ones I am very keen for and its good to know the Freekout is all good. When do you think we might see the BOM for these? I have been holding off a Small Bear order till I know what I need for these projects.
Thanks again
Jules

Canadrian

Quote from: Jules on April 20, 2015, 10:15:18 PM
Thanks for letting us know Brian, I have been checking for the preorders several times a day and it is certainly appreciated being kept in the loop.
The Freekout and Zero point DLX are the ones I am very keen for and its good to know the Freekout is all good. When do you think we might see the BOM for these? I have been holding off a Small Bear order till I know what I need for these projects.
Thanks again
Jules

Same here! Just for the Lowrider ;-)

gylsmrk

Quote from: Jules on April 20, 2015, 10:15:18 PMWhen do you think we might see the BOM for these? I have been holding off a Small Bear order till I know what I need for these projects.

it's the same here. I'm super-curious about the Freekout's BOM. It's also good to know how Brian's planning the power supply part, I was sure it won't be a 9V project.
Thanks for the update!

madbean

Still working. My DB3 BL3208 build had some bugs (bad regulator, bad IC) so it's taking time. Everything is working just fine now...I'm at the tweaking stage to see how much I can improve certain aspects. Definitely a big step above the v3205 version we did a few years ago but I wanna get the extra 10% to make it special.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2015, 03:06:28 PM
Still working. My DB3 BL3208 build had some bugs (bad regulator, bad IC) so it's taking time. Everything is working just fine now...I'm at the tweaking stage to see how much I can improve certain aspects. Definitely a big step above the v3205 version we did a few years ago but I wanna get the extra 10% to make it special.

You hear that... the sound of thousands of members tears hitting the ground at once. LOL

This is going to be an epic project Brian.

Cody

madbean

I hope so. Running the BL3208 version at 15v like the MN3005 version does seem to help a lot. However, there are tweaks that have to be done to optimize it even with just a BBD change. My plan is to do a side by side for everyone. Maybe even a blind test if I can get them close.

ggarms

Would 4x 3005 work in this application? I'm dying to know if you've tried that out yet.

Lubdar

Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2015, 03:47:38 PM
My plan is to do a side by side for everyone. Maybe even a blind test if I can get them close.

Heh I like that idea of a blind test.
(--c^.^)--c

nzCdog

Quote from: Lubdar on May 07, 2015, 08:21:21 PM
Quote from: madbean on May 07, 2015, 03:47:38 PM
My plan is to do a side by side for everyone. Maybe even a blind test if I can get them close.

Heh I like that idea of a blind test.

+1 :D

alanp

Quote from: ggarms on May 07, 2015, 07:49:47 PM
Would 4x 3005 work in this application? I'm dying to know if you've tried that out yet.

Thing is, BL3208's are in current production, and MN3005's are not. Germanium transistors are one thing (no danger of them running out soon), but low volume BBDs are another...

Brian, I thought the 3208 was a 9V part?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website