News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for Dual Humbucker people

Started by PhiloB, April 21, 2015, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I'm doing a dual humbucker strat.  Plan on 3 knobs.  Planning on 2 volume and one tone unless people talk me into something else.
My question is: do you do a single tone for both OR tone for the neck and no tone for the bridge?

Thanks,
Phillip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

I'd do single volume, dual or single tone.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mattc

1v, 1t.   The tone is optional in my book :)

Betty Wont

alanp

My cabronita is the first guitar I've had where the tone knob actually gets used. And being able to change volumes to another preset just by changing pickup is very useful!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GermanCdn

Alternatively, wire up a G&L PTB size (Passive Treble and Bass Cut).  Far more useful than the standard tone knob, though you lose the ability to have two volumes.  Schematic is easy to find on line.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Martan

Have you considered a push-pull pot for coil tapping. I really dig it for the neck pickup, but I really like a strat neck single coil. Sorry to complicate things:-)

PhiloB

Both pick ups are only two wire humbuckers. So coil tapping is out.
The passive trouble and bass cut sounds interesting.

PhiloB

Hmm, if I did chrome knobs, I can do a concentric pot for the volume and then the other two pots could be a treble and bass cut. 
Just not crazy about chrome knobs

micromegas

My ibanez with humbuckers only has one tone - one volume.
Jimmy Herring has a strat with two humbuckers and uses two volumes and a master tone, and his tone is beatiful.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Cortexturizer

I choose my guitars by how many volume and tone pots they have. I have two guitars where each has two humbuckers, two vol pots and two tone pots. Wouldn't have it any other way.
As Alan mentioned the "preset" way of thinking can get pretty addictive. Especially if you go for the sort of od/fuzz that can clean up very well via the vol knob. While for two single coil pickups I would advise something else, I think you should do at least two vol + one tone on a dual humbucker guitar.
Even with a zendrive (and don't get me started on the fuzz face) I like to do the bridge pickup volume on 5 and neck pickup volume on 8 or 9. Then the bridge position is twangy anc super clean, the middle both pickups give me that ac/dc sorta thing and the neck position is for leads.
Some of the best guitar tones I've heard in my life have been made by setting the amp very bright and then keeping the tone pot on like... 3.
There's so much to explore with those controls. Do the two vols and one tone thing. You won't regret it.

@micro - jimmy herring is a fabulous beast master of a man and I second everything you've said. he has great tone and is a helluva guy!
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

HamSandwich

Definitely keep both volumes, but one or no tone controls.

snz728

For many years I've gotten more use out of two volumes on a les paul rather than two tones on a strat, just sayin

nzCdog

Quote from: snz728 on April 21, 2015, 05:13:40 PM
For many years I've gotten more use out of two volumes on a les paul rather than two tones on a strat, just sayin
^this