News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question for Dual Humbucker people

Started by PhiloB, April 21, 2015, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I think 2 volumes makes a lot a sense.  1 Tone:  to me it'd make more sense to have the tone affect the neck only. 
What is your experience?
Love this forum btw.  Great feedback, really helping me think this through. Really can't afford to try a bunch of options, money wise but more importantly time wise.  So many projects in the que. 
Just found out I'll be putting a chicken coup together Monday!!  Someone we know is moving out of town and has asked us to take their chickens and they've bought a brand new coup to sweeten the deal.  Not really sure how I feel about that ???

rumbletone

drolo

+1 on volume + treble + bass control.
The bass roll-off even seems to be the most useful of the 2 tone controls. Makes working with Fuzz and distortion a breeze
I even add one in my single coil guitars when possible

raulduke

2 volumes and 1 tone for me.

2 volumes and 2 tones even better.

Having 2 volumes also makes it very easy to go from clean (neck pickup, volume wound down) to dirty (bridge pickup, full bore) on single channel valve amps.

pryde

Quote from: raulduke on April 22, 2015, 02:17:17 AM
2 volumes and 1 tone for me.

2 volumes and 2 tones even better.

Having 2 volumes also makes it very easy to go from clean (neck pickup, volume wound down) to dirty (bridge pickup, full bore) on single channel valve amps.
This.

Muadzin

Just 2 volumes. Who needs tone knobs anyway?

slimtriggers

I don't put tone knobs in my guitars.
But with a tone knob on the bridge, you don't really even need a neck pickup-like an Esquire.

PhiloB

I'm pretty sure I'll do 2 volume one tone (neck-for fuzz stuff).
Thanks for all the feedback!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vallhagen

Funny, i just had this discussion with a band mate during rehearsal. He has always played his Ibz les paul and he really need two volume pots. I myself really prefer only one volume knob to control it all. The other are sortof optional to me.

Cheers.
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Govmnt_Lacky

What about a dual pot for the Tone?  8)

It wouldn't necessarily be set-and-forget BUT... at least you would have that control with the 3 pot hole option.

PhiloB

Thought about that but just need to KISS-keep it simple stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKimball

I do single tone on all of my guitars. I understand why someone might want the ability to change the neck and/or bridge tone separately but that's too finnicky for me.

I like to use a spin-a-split as a girth control and a tone pot with a small cap as a high control, of course that's where I have 4 knobs though.

But, if you can fit a dual ganged 100kb in there you could have it wired up as a spin-a-tap for both pickups and have one volume and one tone, and keep the simplicity of a 3-way switch (you still wouldn't have the option of running them in parallel though without a push-pull or other switch)

Edit: I usually go for KISS from a user interface standpoint but beneath that I go for complicated stuff (although my definition of complicated is child's play for most of you guys) - for example my telecaster deluxe has a neck humbucker with a tap on the screw coil which means I had to run a 5th wire from it. This allows me to use a push-pull volume for series/parallel, and a dual ganged 100kb pot for simultaneous spin-a-split and spin-a-tap.  It's not perfect - the volume jumps before going back down again when I'm using that knob, but there aren't any extra knobs or switches and I can get strat sounds, Tele sounds, p-90 sounds and vintage neck humbucker sounds and switch between them with minimal knob fiddling. On my les paul I have a similar setup but the dual ganged potentiometer acts as a spin-a-split for both pickups rather than just one like in the telecaster.

The only problem with those setups is it took a while to figure out how to do everything and it's kind of a birds nest under the hood so you do have to spend time planning it out and be really neat with the wiring otherwise there will be problems haha.