News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Parade of Dirt

Started by G.G., April 21, 2015, 12:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.G.

Hi Folks,
Here are a few dirt pedals I've put together recently. The builds themselves are my usual messiness but I thought I would put them up in case someone might be interested in how they sound.

Rullywow Glasshammer - I built a Son of Clay Jones overdrive several years ago and it's been one of my favorites Screamer flavors ever since. I did not realize that this is pretty much the same circuit until I already had it finished, still that much of a noob I guess. But the sound is still so great, and the clipping switch is a nice addition.  Maybe they sound slightly different? Placebo effect?  :)

Aion Fractal (Pearl OD-05) - Another Screamer-derived circuit. The parametric tone control can get an extremely wide range of sounds, all of which are pretty great. The sparkle paint went on a lot darker than I expected making the decals illegible to my aged eyeballs. :-/

Aion Corona (Boss OD-1) - I really like my Dist+ build so I gave this a go as well. They sound similar but I think the OD-1 is more balanced overall, I can hear more mids with it anyway. I set mine up with stock 1N914 clipping and also Fulldrive2-style mosfet clipping, and the diode lift setting sounds pretty close the my Dist+.

Nucleon Jubilee JFET drive - This one sounds very similar to my Boneyard 2, which I like quite a lot so it's nice to have a similar yet different sound. The Nucleon has a tighter low end and a lot more midrange and overall gain (my Boneyard2 build was not super high gain).

these last two are new-ish builds that went into old enclosures from previous builds. I left them messy. I dunno, they work fine as-is, and they're not exactly all-new builds anyway. The first is a BJFE Little Green Wonder that replaced an SS-2, which replaced a Kingslayer. Sonically, it gets into Screamer territory but without as much midrange. I like it quite a lot and I don't think I will be switching it out any time soon. The brown enclosure had one of my very first builds, a Yellow Shark, that I liked but I wished it had more clarity. So I put in a Bearfoot Sweet Honey, which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking of putting the SHOD and HBOD in a 2-in-1 at some point. For now this still has the remnants of my old wiring on the switch. I kind of shocked myself when I opened it up after so long and saw how bad my wiring was back then. Forgot to add: vero layouts are from Guitar FX site.

TGP39

That is one awesome parade Gray. Of all these pedals, which one is your favorite dirt sound right now?  And you are right, your wiring got much better. :)

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

G.G.

Quote from: TGP39 on April 21, 2015, 12:36:44 PM
That is one awesome parade Gray. Of all these pedals, which one is your favorite dirt sound right now?  And you are right, your wiring got much better. :)

Steve.
Out of this bunch? Probably the SHOD. It's got really nice dynamics and stays defined even with the gain all the way up. The Glasshammer would probably be next, although I still mainly use the Son of CJOD for sentimental reasons. And yes, zip ties can camouflage a mess pretty well. :-D

cooder

What an array of awesomeness! Great builds, pleasure to see! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Dminner

I dig that color/knob combo on the "HYPE" pedal.  That thing looks super clean.

jprizz

That's a cool bunch of pedals! Too bad about the Fractal graphic - I like it. Ah heck, I like them all!

bcalla

Beautiful collection!  My eyes were also drawn to the knobs on the Hype.  Very cool.

nzCdog

Really clean work Gray...  love 'em all 8)

G.G.

Quote from: bcalla on April 21, 2015, 03:55:45 PM
Beautiful collection!  My eyes were also drawn to the knobs on the Hype.  Very cool.
thanks guys! The Hype is using Contempo knobs from Small Bear. They're really similar to the knobs on my old Rat.

Cortexturizer

I love em! And thank you for commenting on their sound, useful stuff
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams