News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

It's amazing what some people think is electronics garbage

Started by flanagan0718, April 22, 2015, 01:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

So today is Earth Day. A day where most office buildings have an electronics recycling day. I was walking into work and I spied something that didn't look right in the pile. It was a Peavey bass head. It took a second for it to register, It was only 8 am and I hadn't had any coffee yet. I snagged it. I looked it over and it turns out it is a Peavey 400B from 1978. That's right...78! I haven't had a chance to test is...I've been at work all day and we, surprisingly don't have a bass cab here. But, i did take it apart and it looks good. It's old and it smells like a homeless man's foot but I think it might work. Here are a couple pictures.

Just thought i'd share!

-Mike-

bcalla

Great score!  When I drive by trash, I see .... well, trash.

timbo_93631

Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

selfdestroyer

flanagan0718

Funny story to go along with this too. My guitarist sent me a text moments after i posted this on FB. He said that he sold one, just like this (said may 1978 on it and everything) to a local guitar center about a year ago. He's coming by this weekend to see if it's his old head...And the wheel goes around!

slimtriggers

Very cool!

Your score was better, but I got this for free yesterday:

TGP39

I just looked in my neighbors garbage..........nothin!   :o

Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

chromesphere

I'm always amazed at what people put in their "hard rubbish".   Best score I got recently was a 130 litre kelvinator bar fridge. It couldn't be more then 8-10 years old and works perfectly.  I have been using it over the last 6 months to brew beer, its a perfect size to hold a fermenting vessel.  its the free gift that keeps on giving. 

Repurposing 'rubbish' isn't just about being tight and trying to save money, although in the bar fridge case I saved about $300 (I was close to buying a new one).  It's also nice to know that I saved a fridge from landfill and all of the other harmful side effects that come with paying a factory to make one for you as well.  It's a win for me, and a win for the environment.
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

AntKnee

Even if it doesn't work, there's gotta be some mojo to salvage in that thing.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

flanagan0718

Quote from: AntKnee on April 23, 2015, 09:54:00 AM

That's what I was thinking.

Luke51411

Quote from: flanagan0718 on April 23, 2015, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: AntKnee on April 23, 2015, 09:54:00 AM

That's what I was thinking.
Heck, the knobs alone. Plus you get some jacks, maybe reuse the cabinet for something... I will often pick up an old radio or something for a couple bucks from goodwill to scavenge for mojo and I can usually turn around and at least double what I paid just by selling the knobs. Hopefully it works though or can be made to work!

timbo_93631

If it doesn't work you could turn it into $ by selling it to me!  Been looking for a project solid state PV bass head for awhile.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

DuctTapeRiot

Another '78er here.  Children of the '80s, what a glorious time. Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet was the first tape I ever owned, followed shortly by some Def Lepaprd (dont worry, I quickly grew out of it).