News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TREX real tape echo.. did we talk about this?

Started by culturejam, April 23, 2015, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This video has a working unit. I'm getting one of these, come hell or high water.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

cooder

Ya man that looks bonkers cool and well thought out!
Can't wait to hear demos and opinions.... so buy one and tell me how ya like it! ;)
BigNoise Amplification

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

The price point is a bit crazy but it is a really cool idea. I just want to see the circuit they used for the tap controls for the motor.

Cody

peAk

wow... interesting.

So none of the videos I saw actually demoed the thing, are there any audio/video clips of this?

$800 is a pricey but I really couldn't imagine anyone putting something out there like this any cheaper. It looks like a beast.

culturejam

It's cheaper than the Fulltone tape echo. And more portable. Probably not as good on the fidelity front because of the narrower tape, but I think it will be cool.

jubal81

This looks like it's genuinely worth the $800 hit. I'm considering it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

thedude99

I'd have to play one to see, as that is entering into the price point of a vintage unit, although the upkeep and reliability in general should be better

slimtriggers

Meh, probably a heavily filtered dual pt2399 with a fake tape player spinning in a window  ;D

mcallisterra

Quote from: slimtriggers on April 26, 2015, 01:46:22 AM
Meh, probably a heavily filtered dual pt2399 with a fake tape player spinning in a window  ;D
Then I wouldn't pay a penny over $750.

Muadzin

I can understand the fascination of wanting to own a real tape echo. Or use one in the confines of a studio. But to actually go gig with one?  :o

culturejam

Quote from: Muadzin on April 26, 2015, 10:06:21 AM
I can understand the fascination of wanting to own a real tape echo. Or use one in the confines of a studio. But to actually go gig with one?  :o

Good enough for Gilmour, good enough for me.  :D

mcallisterra

My Dad used an RE-301 live for years with no problems. As much as I love those things, I can't say I'd lug it around to the gigs I play ;D

selfdestroyer

I have a Roland RE-201 that I love using but I HATE taking it out of the house. I always think "is this the day it gets broke/stolen". Having something that is more portable and with the tap tempo would be a plus.. but that price tag is up there and is a bit hard to swallow for the non-pro player. Every time I think that the price is "not that bad" I think of how it costs as much as my Strymon Timeline and Big Sky together and I tell my self "that's just too much".

Maybe once the luster is gone or other companies jump on board then prices will be more competitive.

Cody

Muadzin

Quote from: culturejam on April 26, 2015, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on April 26, 2015, 10:06:21 AM

Good enough for Gilmour, good enough for me.  :D

Gilmour also had the services of Pete Cornish, Bob Bradshaw and an army of guitar techs and roadies to haul it around and keep it going. When you have that practicality can take a backseater.

Also, by sheer coincidence I'm watching Gilmour on youtube as I type this.  8)