News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Powder coating

Started by jtaormina, April 23, 2015, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtaormina

Anyone here do their own powder coating? How much actual powder does it take for a 1590B? I'm wondering how many boxes can be covered with an 8oz bottle of powder, I'm real close to buying a gun and trying myself.

rullywowr

I do my own PC.  It takes a very small amount of powder.  An 8oz container can probably do 10-20+ boxes easily, depending on color. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

brand0nized

I've always wondered.. How cost efficient is powder coating to spray paint? How much more durable is it?

Justus

Start-up cost is going to be higher because you need to get a gun, an oven, and a place set up to properly do it.  It's not like you can just throw down a piece of cardboard in the back yard and go to town like with spray paint.  And good quality powders are going to be higher priced as well, though even in small increments they will still cover a lot more enclosures than a can of spray paint.  You just have to want several boxes in the same color, or not worry about the cost of unused powder.

As for durability and quality of finish, there's no contest.  Powder coat wins.  And also, once set up, it's faster due to curing in an oven and not waiting for several thin coats of paint to dry.

jtaormina

great feedback guys thanks.

I have a small oven i use for various things non-food related so im covered. I was thinking about the Harbor Freight Gun at 69$ dollars. As for the powders so far ebay is the best i can do for really small amounts of powder. I do want more than 1 color for my boxes. I was hoping to find a sample pack of colors and not spend a mint. I'd hate to waste so much powder/money for one color.  BUT as you said, PC enclosures are hands down more durable. Paint just sucks butt.

Anyone know where to get small amounts of powder? Less than 8oz. or a sample pack of colors maybe?

jtaormina

Another thought...

Anyone use the bake on water slides with the PD boxes?

http://www.papilio.com/laser%20bake%20on%20water%20slide%20decal%20paper.html

If so, do you do a clear coat after its baked on? I wouldnt think the powder would stick agian... not sure.

wgc

I do my own pc. Way nicer than spray paint.

I've had no issues doing a clear powdercoat over a laser print water slide.  I probably wouldn't mess with the bake on type.  Ink jet may cause some issues, they may be less tolerant of heat.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

Quote from: jtaormina on April 24, 2015, 10:24:32 AM

I have a small oven i use for various things non-food related so im covered. I was thinking about the Harbor Freight Gun at 69$ dollars. As for the powders so far ebay is the best i can do for really small amounts of powder. I do want more than 1 color for my boxes. I was hoping to find a sample pack of colors and not spend a mint. I'd hate to waste so much powder/money for one color.  BUT as you said, PC enclosures are hands down more durable. Paint just sucks butt.

Anyone know where to get small amounts of powder? Less than 8oz. or a sample pack of colors maybe?

I recommend www.columbiacoatings.com  They have lots of sample packs in small sizes for you to try. 

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

I like Columbia for small amounts too. They have 2oz bottles for about $5.

You can also try powder365.com for the same sizes.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

jtaormina

Quote from: rullywowr on May 07, 2015, 07:45:08 AM
Quote from: jtaormina on April 24, 2015, 10:24:32 AM

I recommend www.columbiacoatings.com  They have lots of sample packs in small sizes for you to try.

Freakin awesome! thanks for the link, the 2oz samples would be perfect! Hellz yeah.