News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Black Hole" Shoot the Moon mini

Started by midwayfair, April 26, 2015, 02:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

A customer up in Boston wanted a tremolo that could do stutter and softer wave forms and it needed to fit in a 1590A. He also wanted the rate knob as big as possible, so that meant I had to fiddle with the layout a bit to exclude the volume and make the waveform control a switch!

He plays bass clarinet, so I hope I get to hear something he creates using this!

I was so happy with the art that this one was a wrench to let go. I used "Midnight Rain" from PPP as the base powder coat -- it looks black but has a green sheen when the light hits it just right, and it also has some sparkle to it. I didn't want to use a flat black because I thought it would lessen the impact of the big black knob that makes up the black hole itself. Since every black hole needs something to feed on (or else you wouldn't be able to see it), I used the stuff sticking out of the pedals, and the LEDs obviously made the most sense. The colors start out "cold" (except for some silver around the edges to add some separation from the background) in actual heat terms and get brighter as you go toward the center of the accretion disc. There is also a white and silver background to make it look more like actual light. It's hard to photograph the metallic paints properly.

The Hawking radiation (that column shooting out from the center) was done with white and metallic blue.

I then used some paint thinner to smear the colors together and get some dissipation at the edges.

selfdestroyer

Favorite artwork yet Jon. Looks fantastic.

Cody

playpunk

Wowzers that rocks my world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

cooder

Compact awesomeness and super looks! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

Luke51411

Wow that might be your best art yet! And your art is all awesome! The layout and cram job is art all on it's own!

alanp

You make the 1590A in this build look spacious  :o
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GrindCustoms

That's looking great!

With what did you end up doing for the wave form switch, as it usually just asks for a SPDT for full Sine-Triangle / Square wave?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

davent

Super painting Jon, came out great!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Quote from: GrindCustoms on April 26, 2015, 03:07:17 PM
That's looking great!

With what did you end up doing for the wave form switch, as it usually just asks for a SPDT for full Sine-Triangle / Square wave?

It's a double throw. Middle lug is where wave 2 would go, outside lugs to the normal places.

I alter the resistor/LED network to soften the waveform for sine wave; the rate LED is in series with the vactrol and I use a 3K3 across the pair of LEDs instead of the 1K from the original. Seems a bit more balanced overall.

I also shoiuld have mentioned, I used Smallbear's 9203 photocell. Aside from being tiny, the dark resistance is massive so this does a really great stutter at high speeds. Not as good as a VTL5C1, but I couldn't fit one on the layout.

lrgaraujo

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

jprizz

Yes that would be a tough one to let go! Nice work Jon