News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Humbucker Polarity Question

Started by PhiloB, May 04, 2015, 07:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

I'm working on a HH strat.  In fact it is close to being done.  I have the adjustable pole pieces on the neck pickup closest to the headstock and the adjustable pole pieces of the bridge pup closest to the bridge. 
In the middle position of the switch with both pups full volume I get a thin, out of phase sound.  Both pickups are Gibson, 490r/t. I bought them used.
When I drop a magnet on them,  the neck pickup attracts at the adjustable pole pieces. the bridge attracts at the fixed pole pieces.
I am assuming I need to spin the magnet around on one of the pickups.  I'm double checking here because I'll have to remove the cover that I just secured with silicon when adding the cover:(. Hate to go through all that if I'm mistaken!

Thanks,
Phillip

Poor photo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimilee

No idea, just spin it and see what happens. I remember when you were just a pup, and now look at you. Nicely done sir, nicely done.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PhiloB

Lol Jimmy.  Yeah, still a pup:) I am afraid I may tear up the cover and/or pickup removing it.    If I'd have used wax I could have just heated it up.  Maybe it won't be as bad as I think.  Was hoping to get a definitive answer before proceeding.  May just have to dive in...

TGP39

Phillip, I don't know the answer, but I'm hoping this helps.....

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

PhiloB

Thanks Steve!

pryde

Hey there. dont tear it apart yet. first try to reverse the hot and ground connections on the pickup. that may be all you need.

PhiloB

Will do pryde, should have thought of that!

PhiloB

Found my kids magnet from a school project which was labeled N and S.  Test the pickups with it and determined which pup was off.  The chrome cover came of with only moderate pressure and didn't bend at all.  Flipped the magnet around and I rock 'n and roll'n!
Thanks Steve for the link.  It was the only place I saw info on how the humbucker was 'supposed' to be oriented polarity wise.

PhiloB

This phone makes me out to be inept with the English language (native tongue) with the auto correct.  Ok, well I don't do too good with my words no how but dang.

TGP39

Quote from: PhiloB on May 06, 2015, 01:14:37 PM
Found my kids magnet from a school project which was labeled N and S.  Test the pickups with it and determined which pup was off.  The chrome cover came of with only moderate pressure and didn't bend at all.  Flipped the magnet around and I rock 'n and roll'n!
Thanks Steve for the link.  It was the only place I saw info on how the humbucker was 'supposed' to be oriented polarity wise.

Glad you got it sorted....have fun.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

gordo

Here's one of the coolest tricks for pickup covers. Get a couple of single edged razor blades and when you heat up each side of the pickup with your iron drop the razor blade in. This helps to suck up heat so you don't screw up the coils and the parts you've unsoldered won't jump back on the bandwagon.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?