News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FV-1 Reverb board and Ecgotapper delay Kit

Started by pogart, May 07, 2015, 09:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pogart

I may have bitten off more than I can chew on these but decided to do something scary (more so than my regular nerves on building the wicked cool projects in here) and ordered one of AresAudio's FV-1 based reverb boards and the FV-1 Echotapper delay kit. First time soldering surface mount ic's for the reverb build so that will be an adventure. Fingers crossed and ramping up my patience level as much as possible. To start the head scratching already I notice the reverb board does not have  designated foot switch hook up's. I'll have to tackle that part after I get the rest built up. Any tips and encouragement is greatly accepted : )

jtaormina

Couple SMD tips - presolder the pads, use some flux if you have it, line up the IC, hold it in place and do a couple pads on each side to hold in place while doing the rest. quickly solder by pressing down on the foot. the second the flow goes up and makes the typical "slope" pull off. dont hang around you might burn up the chip.

Good Luck!

Govmnt_Lacky

I wonder how closely that resembles the Tonepad Reverb project?  ???

jimilee

Foot switch hookups? If it has an in an out and a ground, you're golden. Madbean's standard wiring diagram will fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pogart

Thanks for the solder tip. I have a fresh pointy tip ready for this project. No idea on the resemblance of the tone pad one though. As for in and out and ground, there is the dc jack ground/9v pads as well as another ground pad bottom left of the board and the board mount stereo inputs right and and left for the jacks but no other pin pads for "in /out".  This is from the build doc "The stomp-switch naturally bypasses the effect although the original input audio signal, although, to be honest, its use may also be superfluous.
On the rear panel we find the classic two input channels, two out and the inevitable power jack for the power supply. "
The images on the site for the pads on the board and hooking the pots/rotary switch are different than the actual board. I can see where they go but the power LED has a single pin pad. I don't want to over load you guys right off the bat lol.

wgc

Cool project

I just did some clumsy videos a bout a week ago that I hope will help you

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=21125.0

Good luck!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pogart

Sweet, I watched these when you posted them earlier (planning ahead haha). They will definitely  come in handy!.

alanp

Mind you, part of the fun is programming it once it is soldered and has voltage :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pogart

I think I will start with the basic programs that the chip comes with to start. From what I've read though you can really customize the different effect channels. Baby steps for now. Populate the board, make sure it works, figure out the on/off switch and if all go's well, reverb ambient grooviness : )

jtaormina

Quote from: pogart on May 07, 2015, 03:43:53 PM
Thanks for the solder tip. I have a fresh pointy tip ready for this project.

Back in the day when used to do this type of work i liked using a super pointy tip with the end bent ever so slightly. I would get the tip as hot as it could go, and carefully bend it against or with a tool. NOT 90, but maybe 20 or 30deg. helps hit a wider range and transfer more heat at once but still has the pointy advantage of being small.

pogart

Cool, I have a spare tip to test this idea out. If I understand it correctly you can still use the pointed tip but also have a little more coverage if you use the edge of the bent area?.

cooder

Wow, cool, all the best with getting this together, looking forward to seeing what you've got to say about it in the end! :)
BigNoise Amplification

pogart

Still waiting for a few bits to arrive in the mail but will definitely update as I go along.